It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

Help regarding power for 3 Casio keyboards/manuals

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

litmusician

Help regarding power for 3 Casio keyboards/manuals

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 9:23 am

Hello all,

I've recently nearly finished my virtual pipe organ using 3 Casio keyboards set into my original Gulbransen spinet console. My problem is regarding the power. I originally intended on using a powerstrip, however, these keyboards turn off once power is cut and individually need to be turned on again to work. The power button for each keyboard is on the top and the only way to reach the button is to pull the keyboard out halfway and then back into place. It's not a huge problem, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea if there is any special "master on/off" switch that these three manuals could be hooked up to in order to avoid having to power each one on separately? Many thanks for any ideas and help :-) John

Max OSX (11.5.2)
(3) Casio CT-S300 MIDI USB keyboards
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John Platanitis
Organist and Pianist, West Dennis Community Church
An Open & Affirming Parish of The United Church of Christ
288 Main St, West Dennis, MA 02670
Parish Phone: 508.398.6420
Personal Phone: 508.932.0393

mnailor

Re: Help regarding power for 3 Casio keyboards/manuals

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 10:28 am

Based on the CTS300 user manual, it seems there's no setting to power on automatically when power is applied to the 9.5V DC input.

engrssc

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 3:25 am

Using one of these relay modules for each keyboard, wired in parallel across each of the keyboard's on power button can be used. A single button would trigger all of these (remote control) relays.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383719333658

Rgds,
Ed

litmusician

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 12:58 pm

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much for this info - I think it's exactly what I need. I appreciate it very much!

All the best,
John
John Platanitis

engrssc

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 1:10 pm

If you need further info, just ask. I've used this "remote relay" setup. Connect the Common and Normally Open relay's contacts in parallel with each keyboard's power switch. Works and is relatively cheap. So you would need (at least) 3 but I usually order an extra "just in case" :roll: You could stagger (very slightly) the turn on sequence by adjusting the delay potentiometer(s).

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 4:38 pm

Another option (possibly a better choice) using a 12 VDC power source. The 12 V input connections are wired in parallel and controlled by a single switch or push button.

Use the Com and CK relay terminals in parallel with (each of) the keyboard's power switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363496575050

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 6:42 am

Is it essential to turn off the keyboards when you’re not playing the organ? Although it’s counter-intuitive, I find that electronic equipment often lasts longer when permanently powered up. A MIDI interface I built for my pedalboard around 1990 has rarely been switched off, and still works perfectly. A Casio HT3000 keyboard I bought at the same time is also on most of the time, and again continues to work perfectly.

We are accustomed to thinking that electrical or electronic products wear out when in use, but with modern electronics that seems not to be the case. They often use so little power that the cost of electricity is negligible; and some companies now supply domestic customers with electricity from renewable resources, so there’s no damage to the environment. Modern equipment often has to work hardest when it’s first switched on, as software has to go through its start-up routine. So you could try the ultra-simple solution of just leaving your keyboards permanently switched on!

litmusician

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:51 am

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much for all the additional information. I know absolutely *nothing* about power/switches/relays/etc. so whatever additional help you could offer would be immensely appreciated. Or if you know of a YouTube video with specific instructions on how to set up/install a "12 VDC Power Source" - that would be so helpful. In the meantime - I'll look and see if I can find instructional videos myself. Thanks so much.

John
John Platanitis

litmusician

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:53 am

organsRgreat wrote:Is it essential to turn off the keyboards when you’re not playing the organ? Although it’s counter-intuitive, I find that electronic equipment often lasts longer when permanently powered up. A MIDI interface I built for my pedalboard around 1990 has rarely been switched off, and still works perfectly. A Casio HT3000 keyboard I bought at the same time is also on most of the time, and again continues to work perfectly.

We are accustomed to thinking that electrical or electronic products wear out when in use, but with modern electronics that seems not to be the case. They often use so little power that the cost of electricity is negligible; and some companies now supply domestic customers with electricity from renewable resources, so there’s no damage to the environment. Modern equipment often has to work hardest when it’s first switched on, as software has to go through its start-up routine. So you could try the ultra-simple solution of just leaving your keyboards permanently switched on!

Hi!

These Casios actually have a power-saving feature that shuts them off automatically -as I was thinking the same (just leave them on all the time) - but that's not possible. It would be a nice, *easy* solution though :-)

John
John Platanitis

engrssc

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:57 am

organsRgreat wrote:I find that electronic equipment often lasts longer when permanently powered up. A MIDI interface I built for my pedalboard around 1990 has rarely been switched off, and still works perfectly.

The exception is laptops and tablets as their batteries can have issues (eventually) if powered 24/7.

Rgds,
Ed.

organsRgreat

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 am

John:

On page 35 of the user manual there’s a setting to enable or disable Auto Power Off. Does that help?

Ed:

Good point. It’s recommended that laptops be powered from the mains when running Hauptwerk, so I try to remember to turn off the mains supply occasionally so that the battery cycles through its discharge/charge sequence.

litmusician

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 12:50 pm

organsRgreat wrote:John:

On page 35 of the user manual there’s a setting to enable or disable Auto Power Off. Does that help?

Ed:

Good point. It’s recommended that laptops be powered from the mains when running Hauptwerk, so I try to remember to turn off the mains supply occasionally so that the battery cycles through its discharge/charge sequence.

YES! I don't know how I missed that info in the manual! Thanks so much :-)
John Platanitis

Return to Computer hardware / specs