It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

Help me choose a computer/monitor!

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

MarcFCheban

Help me choose a computer/monitor!

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 9:13 am

I am getting older and slower. I have read a couple of posts concerning things to consider when getting a computer system for Hauptwerk, and my mind got fried. Can someone just advise me what to buy? It is for a medium sized church and I will be using the current 3 manual Ahlborn/Galanti console and its speaker system. I'm looking for something powerful enough for some of the medium to larger sample sets and which will support 2 touchscreen monitors. Please help a rapidly aging organist! Thank you :lol:

mnailor

Re: Help me choose a computer/monitor!

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 11:47 am

Aren't we all? :D

Please start with the Prerequisites section of the HW user guide, beginning at page 14 of the v6.0.2 guide. It's not just the computer -- study audio and MIDI interfaces, etc., too.

Computer capacity is mostly about the most demanding sampleset you may want to run. If it's Nancy, you need a very fast CPU with 8 or more cores -- 12 to 16 is better -- and 128 GB of RAM. If it's Caen surround, you need 6 - 8 cores and 64 GB.

Must have enough USB ports -- some powered and some USB 3.x -- to hook up all your interfaces, touchscreens, and iLok dongle (first section of user guide).

Touchscreen monitors are so varied it's hard to know what works best for an individual. Do measure to see where you can mount them and easily reach the touchscreens, given that the AG console might have side jambs in the way. It can be hard to use a monitor on top of a console, so you might need articulated arms or a floor stand.

Using the AG's amps and speakers may not turn out so well. AG usually only has 1 or 2 stereo inputs, and its speakers won't be suited for HW. At least plan out a future expansion to new amps and speakers or powered monitors before you buy something you'd have to replace. My old AG3200 had a bug that made the 2nd stereo input unusable!

Return to Computer hardware / specs