It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

AMD fTPM "stuttering" issue

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

mnailor

AMD fTPM "stuttering" issue

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 9:05 am

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-to-fix-f ... months-out

The fTPM stuttering issue might be a cause of frequent audio glitches on AMD PCs running Windows 10 or 11. You can disable fTPM in BIOS, but only after safely disabling all TPM use, such as Bitlocker disk encryption. Otherwise, there's a big risk of bricking your PC.

Edit: I searched the forum for fTPM and see that evertjan posted about this the day before, but that post isn't in the active topics view, so I didn't see it. Sorry for duplicate. Oh -- this was a comment in another topic and I missed it completely. Getting old...

Martin, this probably belongs in Computer hardware / specs. Thank you.
Last edited by mnailor on Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: AMD fTPM "stuttering" issue

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 9:18 am

Thanks for the information, Mark.

[Topic moved here and made 'sticky'.]

There's also an article on Tom's Hardware about it here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/am ... ng-issues#

"AMD's fTPM issues impact both Windows 10 and Windows 11 Ryzen systems, with the typical side effect being random stuttering and lagging that lasts one to two seconds. These periods occur multiple times per day during all manner of workloads, including gaming. They manifest as jerky performance on the screen and interrupted and garbled audio ..."
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostWed May 04, 2022 8:36 am

At least two of my customers have reported issues that sound very much like this, but one of the complaints goes back over a year, so would that still be relevant?
Also I note from the PC Mag article that "Customers began experiencing the problems after enabling the fTPM module on the Ryzen CPUs". I take that to mean that it's something one has to do "knowingly and wilfully" - i.e. it doesn't happen automatically. Is it something a professional PC builder would do without being asked?

What other possible causes might there be for this problem (bearing in mind that all our Windows PCs are stripped down to "bare-bones" as per Black Viper's recommendations)?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mnailor

PostWed May 04, 2022 8:43 am

Dell shipped my laptop with fTPM enabled to support disk encryption, so it wasn't a user choice.

I also have to run HW at realtime priority on the AMD Ryzen 5600U laptop to avoid noises, even with fTPM off. May be something about the Realtek HD audio -- which only works with headphones. The laptop speakers just produce weird whining noises.

Return to Computer hardware / specs