It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:30 am

Need advice for selecting Touch Screens

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

hptschupp

Need advice for selecting Touch Screens

PostSat Mar 19, 2022 5:19 pm

I'm about to add 2 touch screens to my HW Organ Project. I thought to go with the Beetronics 15" or 17".

Does anybody have Beetronics Touch Screens? How is their quality? Should I go with 16:9 or 4:3 Aspect Ratio?

Any help is appreciated.

HP

https://hauptwerktampa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/organ-4manuals-1024x768.jpg

jerrymartin

Re: Need advice for selecting Touch Screens

PostSun Mar 20, 2022 5:45 am

I recently added a second touch screen to my system. I have long used and continue to be very happy with the Acer T232HL :D

Are you windows or mac operating system?

The Acer were plug-and-play on windows (just needed to identify in windows settings which was left/right) while they requried a driver from https://touch-base.com/ to work under MacOS

It is likely similar with the Beetronics monitors, but I can't advise directly on them.
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

hptschupp

PostSun Mar 20, 2022 7:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. My system will be Windows. The ACER T232HL seems to be a good Hauptwerk option, however too big for my console. I'm looking a TS monitor wit 15" to17". Beetronics has all sizes 13", 15", 17", 19" etc. in either 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio, however in the price range of $450 to $600 significantly higher that the ACER. But they also have versions with aluminum frame that can easily be integrated in a jamb box left and right of the keyboard stack. That is what I plan.

I'm not sure yet if the monitors will be placed landscape or portrait. In portrait position the ACER would fit, in landscape it is too big.

JmG

PostMon Mar 21, 2022 1:16 am

Hello,
i'm using two "Waveshare 13.3inch HDMI LCD (H) (with Case) IPS 1920x1080 Resolution Capacitive Touch Screen with Toughened Glass Cover Supports" because i've no place for bigger LCD.
There is also: "Waveshare 15.6inch HDMI LCD (H) (with Case) IPS Display 1920x1080 Capacitive Touch Screen with Toughened Glass Cover Supports Mini-PCs Raspberry Pi BB Black Desktop Computers Game Consoles" .
I'm using these on a Win10 system with no issues. You can find them on "Amazon".

hptschupp

PostMon Mar 21, 2022 10:12 pm

Good hint. Thank you!

Do you use the monitor in Portrait or Landscape position?

JmG

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 1:39 am

Hello,
i'm using in Landscape mode. Previously i was also using these monitors with Hauptwerk running on a MacPro but i bought a third party driver from Touch-base.com. I migrate from Mac to Window system because on the Mac the USB Ports become dead ...

IainStinson

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 4:05 am

I use two 24” Iiyama ProLite T2452MTS-B1 touch screens which I mount in portrait orientation. I prefer this orientation as it more closely resembles most pipe organ stop jambs and 24” landscape screens look rather unwieldy.

I think the choice between landscape and portrait orientation depends on the virtual instrument stop control screens in the sample sets you use. Whilst many sample sets include both portrait and landscape,some, generally older sets, only include landscape screens. ( I try not to buy sample sets which don’t include portrait displays.)

Iain

Clavecin

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 4:15 pm

I too will soon be purchasing a pair of Beetronic 15 inch screens, which I'll use in portrait. These will be a perfect fit where the drawstop jambs used to be in the console I'm converting. I'll be running Windows 10, the technical specifications of the Beetronics looks fine.

hptschupp

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 9:35 pm

Interesting discussion. I will most likely go with 2 Beetronics 15" in portrait orientation. My main Organ Sample Set will be Laurenskerk Rotterdam from Sonus Paradisi.

Beetronics has a metal version frame (15TS7M) that is also easily mountable on a wood jamb-box. In addition I will mount a 75" flat panel screen on the wall that can easily be seen from the position of the organist (slightly above the sheet music rack). This will also serve for the Symphonic Vienna Instruments that I will integrate in my 4 manual organ project. See more at: https://hauptwerktampa.com

Philip Powell

PostMon Mar 28, 2022 6:36 pm

magnaton

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 9:46 am

Hello Phillip:

A while back I purchased a pair of these for a HW conversion.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YXP683D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are light, have a nice glass touch which is very responsive like a smart phone. With the right video card you can get by with just one USB-C cable for power, data, & video. I didn't want to add the extra expense of 2 video cards just to save a cable. However compared to other touch screens, USB-C also provides the power. They have VESA mounts in back but since the unit itself is very thin, you need to be careful when attaching the mounting screws.

Danny B.

Clavecin

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 3:36 am

As mentioned earlier, I'd decided on a pair of Beetronic 15.6'' screens in portrait mode. However, I've since found a pair of 17'' Iiyama screens that will just fit, again in portrait mode. The Beetronics are full HD and 16:9 aspect, the Iiyamas are lower resolution and 5:4 aspect. These are fitting into the jamb spaces of a rebuilt console, hence the size restrictions.

Which is likely to be the most suitable sizing for Hauptwerk display purposes?

Arp

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 5:36 am

IainStinson wrote:I use two 24” Iiyama ProLite T2452MTS-B1 touch screens which I mount in portrait orientation. I prefer this orientation as it more closely resembles most pipe organ stop jambs and 24” landscape screens look rather unwieldy.

I think the choice between landscape and portrait orientation depends on the virtual instrument stop control screens in the sample sets you use. Whilst many sample sets include both portrait and landscape,some, generally older sets, only include landscape screens. ( I try not to buy sample sets which don’t include portrait displays.)

Iain

Your OS is Windows or MAC OS?

Clavecin

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 6:15 am

Windows

Organorak

PostSat May 07, 2022 3:37 pm

23 inch portrait mode touchscreens are close to real life sized jambs as found on a moderately lage (think UK cathedral 60 stop) 4 manual consoles. And they are relatively affordable.

Example of my own organ showing Salisbury:

Jambs on a console like St Maximin will be much taller; Rotterdam St Laurence much wider. I build my own graphics in jorgan to rearrange stops to fit the monitor when needed. I display sheet music pdfs on a 26 inch non touch monitor using pistons to turn pages.

Return to Computer hardware / specs