It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

Build to fulfil my wants.

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

BobL

Build to fulfil my wants.

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 7:46 pm

Earlier this year I bought an Allen MDS 71-S (which has 3 manuals and full MIDI out) with the intent of converting it to a Hauptwerk. And I’m beginning to research what I will actually need in terms of computer hardware etc., though I will wait till early next before acting on this. The console has 70 draw knobs and I plan to dynamically repurpose some of the rocker tabs for use as stop tabs to implement two floating divisions, for a total of 96 stops. At present the organ is set up with 10 channels, two of which are subwoofers. I want to add 6 more channels. So, the hardware needs to handle at least 16 channels and 96 stops.

I generally roll my own PCs; the build I presently have in mind:

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X - 12-Core 4.7 GHz (has the AVX-512 instruction set)
128G (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600
2 each 2TB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD in RAID 1
Waiting on benchmarks but hope to get by with the ASUS Prime X670-P WiFi Socket AM5 

Does this seem about right for what I want to do?

magnaton

Re: Build to fulfil my wants.

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 11:31 am

If you tell us what the objective of your VPO is to be that might help. If just for home use, then I think your PC spec is overkill. The HW backup file is small and a restore works flawlessly! All organ RAR files can be backed up and archived as they rarely (if ever) change. They can usually be downloaded again from the publisher's website as can the main HW executable.

Also what is the ideal organ sample set you have in mind? If it's a big surround set to fully load 24bit uncompressed then maybe 128GB of RAM. I know of an install of an older i5 PC on Win7 running Nancy in 2 perspectives, with 10.1 channels of audio. The owner performed Boellmann's Toccata will full organ towards the end with no issues of latency or audio break up! It has a lot do with Performance & Tuning and excellent an excellent audio interface.

I'd consider going with an Intel chip. See this recent post regarding CPU spikes and AMD.
https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20531

Danny B.

Return to Computer hardware / specs