It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

Experiences with Windows 11?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

damuehlbauer

Experiences with Windows 11?

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 4:11 pm

My computer is reminding me that Windows 11 is available for installation. I've resisted so far. Has anyone has significant positive or negative experiences with Hauptwerk (or various related applications) after upgrading to Windows 11?
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

neptune

Re: Experiences with Windows 11?

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 4:57 pm

I'm still running windows 7 on a dual xeon workstation. My moto is, if it isn't broken, don't "fix it". You never know what you run into in terms of problems with missing/broken drivers. My HW computer is dedicated to HW and unplugged from the internet so that may be different than your situation.

damuehlbauer

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 5:02 pm

I fully understand the 'If it ain't broke...' philosophy. I only use this computer for Hauptwerk, but I do connect to the Internet for updates to Hauptwerk, so there is some risk of viruses/malware/etc. in not having a current version of Windows (either 10 or 11).

Thanks for sharing your thoughs.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

vpo-organist

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi David,
I am a software developer and work daily with a Win11 (Intel CPU) and I am very satisfied with it. It is stable and fast. At home I have a Win11 with a Ryzen CPU. That is also very performant.
You should first check whether the existing hardware runs with Win11. Possibly ask the manufacturer.

mnailor

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 7:03 pm

I've been using Windows 11 for Hauptwerk 7 for about 10 months, with no more trouble than Windows 10. Definitely check hardware and driver support for your PC and all peripherals, especially that your audio and MIDI interface drivers support Windows 11. And save Hauptwerk backups -- user data and all installation files -- outside the PC.

jrball

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 10:26 am

I'm running Windows 10 and the latest update broke my ancient version Adobe Audition and made my M-Audio 410 hard to get going. Windows 11 would not be helpful.
Maybe I should revert to Windows 7 for the organ PC.

vpo-organist

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 12:13 pm

Do you mean FireWire 410? This legacy device has not been supported since Windows 8. The argument is no longer relevant for David.

Stuart

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 8:27 am

I would echo the same thoughts as mnailor above. Under both Windows 10 and 11 Hauptwerk has performed very well although I've continued to have some serious audio glitches, usually in the first 5 minutes in spite of observing all of the usual Windows precautions. After following another thread on audio glitches on the forum for some time, and checking/changing various settings in both hardware and software, I'm fairly confident that these glitches (at least on my system) probably arise from a complex interaction between the AMD processor/motherboard, the MOTU 24Ao driver (fully updated as of about a month ago) and Windows itself. I am able to live with the glitches for home use, but I hope they are eventually resolved as they would not be workable in any public performance situation.

organsRgreat

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 am

The following article includes instructions for using Firewire peripherals with Windows 10 and 11. I have two MOTU 828 Hybrid Mark 3 sound cards running together over Firewire under Windows 10. In this configuration Windows sees the two sound cards as one unit, thus doubling the number of inputs and outputs available.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Arti ... wire-1.htm

Return to Computer hardware / specs