It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

Paramount 341, v4, 4GB laptop?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Paramount 341, v4, 4GB laptop?

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 4:51 pm

I have found that the Paramount 341 sample set runs satisfactorily in Hauptwerk version 4 on an Acer Swift 1 laptop, with 8GB RAM. Processor in these is an Intel N6000 or N5000 running at 1GHz, storage about 128GB. This laptop has been available in the UK with 8GB or with 4GB of RAM, so at the time I chose the 8GB model as I felt Hauptwerk would struggle with anything less. Now the price of the 4GB model has dropped from around £400 to £289, so it’s tempting to buy one as a backup. Unfortunately that 4GB cannot be upgraded because the memory is soldered to the motherboard. So my question is: would the 4GB model run the Paramount 341 in Hauptwerk 4 satisfactorily, or is that too much of a risk?

rayjcar

Re: Paramount 341, v4, 4GB laptop?

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 8:40 am

I'm running Hauptwerk 7 and with the Paramount 341 loaded I'm calculating over 9 Gb being used, based on subtracting memory remaining from the memory capacity of my computer.
So I think the answer is definitely no. Using Hauptwerk 4.2, you are probably right on the edge right now with 8 Gb.

Ray

larason2

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 1:25 pm

It might depend on how you're loading it. Try looking at the log file to see how much memory it's taking on your current computer. However, in general, I agree with Ray, 4GB is not enough to run even the smallest sets these days, and while you might be able to fit the 341 in 4 GB, The computer and Hauptwerk would probably still struggle.

organsRgreat

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 5:01 pm

My thanks to you both. I realise I’ve been a bit stupid about this – I should have used Task Manager to look at the amount of memory in use, and to see the CPU load. The laptop is currently downstairs next to my piano for video experiments, but as soon as it’s back upstairs with my Hauptwerk setup I’ll check this.

I can’t quickly find any figures on the Paramount site, but the Wersi site states that for the Paramount 320 “The highest resolution (24 bit uncompressed) requires 3.3 GB of RAM to run both the samples and the Hauptwerk software”. So the 341, with twice as many ranks, would very likely be struggling, even if loaded in 16 bit compressed instead of 24 bit uncompressed.

Just for interest – a fortnight ago I posted a query on a video forum, and as yet there have been no replies. Video must have a much larger user base than Hauptwerk, which proves just how helpful people are in this Forum. I’d never have got my system running without the help I’ve received here - the record probably goes to Martin for replying in twenty minutes on a sunny Sunday afternoon – some while after Version 4 had ceased to be officially supported. Brilliant!

Return to Computer hardware / specs