It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 am

Are USB Hubs a problem for latency?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

LukasT

Are USB Hubs a problem for latency?

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 6:08 pm

I'm upgrading my Hauptwerk PC, and wondering about whether it is useful to have a mainboard with lots of USB ports.

Is there any difference having 10 ports on my mainboard, versus having only 4 ports and attaching two USB hubs?

Specifically, I would like to know if this introduces additional latency - either constant latency, or perhaps random jitters. I have built several computers, but I don't have enough in-depth knowledge of the USB protocol to be able to answer that question myself.

mnailor

Re: Are USB Hubs a problem for latency?

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 6:12 pm

I use a USB hub and haven't seen delays or uneven responses. It's best to buy a USB hub with its own power, not a bus powered unit.

larason2

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 7:50 pm

If the USB hub isn't powered, then yes the connection can be intermittent and can have long latency because of this. That's why it's not recommended. Powered USB hubs usually have very low latency for USB and audio over midi, the bandwidth is usually pretty good. However I would still prefer on board USB ports because I think they would be more reliable. I've had one or two USB hubs die on me over the years with Hauptwerk. It's not a big deal, but it is annoying.

IainStinson

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 6:57 am

I would try to avoid using a USB hub if possible. They are another device in the chain which can go wrong.

I prefer to use motherboard USB ports, and if there are insufficient of them, then consider a card in the PC which supports USB connections. I am using a 7 port USB card from Startech (https://www.startech.com/en-gb/cards-adapters/pexusb3s7 - I fitted the supplementary power connection to ensure that all the ports could give a high level of current output.), other cards may be available... and of course the card has to fit into the PC case. and into an otherwise empty slot.

As others have said, if you need to use a USB hub use a good quality powered hub.

It is worth counting up how many USB interfaces you may need...
(audio interface, midi controller (or several for USB midi keyboards), iPad(s), other midi controllers (volume control for example), iLok device, (power sequencer control), computer keyboard and mouse, wireless dongle(?), external backup disk drive(s). USB displays....
....keep counting! and have one or two "unallocated for future expansion".

Iain

GLMounk

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 12:45 pm

I have to use a powered USB hub for my keyboards work properly. Hauptwerk would not remember my keyboard settings when I plugged the keyboards directly into my computer.
Glen

Return to Computer hardware / specs