It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

Apple mac mini m1 or intel.

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

TSday

Apple mac mini m1 or intel.

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 12:43 pm

We are upgrading one of our organs and are preparing to install version 7 on a new mac mini. There are 2 versions, intel i5 and the m1 chip. Both will have 16 gigs of ram and 500 gig ssd’s. Which would be better. The computers would always be on.
Thanks
Thom.

chr.schmitz

Re: Apple mac mini m1 or intel.

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 1:19 pm

Hauptwerk 7 works without any issues with the new Apple M1 chip. The better investment into the future is definitively the new Apple Silicon platform.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Hello Thom,

[Topic moved here.]

Some potential points to consider:

- The Intel Mac Mini is available with a 3.2 GHz 6-core i7 CPU as an option, and also with up to 64 GB of RAM, whereas the Apple-CPU version only allows up to 16 GB of RAM.

- The amount of RAM is extremely important for Hauptwerk purposes, since it determines the maximum size of sample sets that you can load.

- The Apple-CPU version is newer and might potentially be faster than the Intel CPU options (which are older -- Intel 8th-generation), although the 3.2 GHz 6-core Intel i7 model should still perform very well anyway.

- Since both models are still currently available from Apple, you should hopefully be able to expect at least 3 years (and probably at least 5) of support from Apple for new macOS versions for them.

- However, given that Apple are transitioning away from Intel CPUs in the medium-term, the Apple-CPU based option may be more future-proof in the long term.

- Here's the excerpt from the Hauptwerk prerequisites regarding Apple's (non-Intel) CPUs:
The only Macs officially supported at this point in time are those with Intel CPUs. However, we understand that Hauptwerk does work and perform very well on Apple's new Macs with Apple ARM-based CPUs (running under Apple's Rosetta translator), with no known additional problems at the time of writing, and we’ll provide support on them for issues that can be reproduced on one of our primary supported Mac platforms listed above, and that don’t appear to be related to the platform.

Others might have more detailed experiences to report.

[Edit: P.S. I see Chris and I replied at the same time.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostTue Jan 10, 2023 1:34 pm

I agree it works well on the M1. The only problem is that some of the companies that make third party audio interfaces for the M1 chips have been slow in providing reiable drivers for their interfaces. So, before you go that route make sure any interface you plan to use with it is known to function reliably on the M1.

ldeutsch

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:43 pm

I had to make this same decision more than a year ago. Since I am working with larger sample sets, I chose to buy the last generation Intel Mini and brought it up to 64 MB RAM using third-party chips.

This was in the days when you could still order the Intel version directly from Apple. This does not seem to be possible anymore, but you can find good deals on the Intel version from other sellers. Upgrading the RAM was non-trivial, but there are some great YouTube videos showing how this is done. You will need to buy some special tools - available for a small additional price from the same third party dealers that will sell you the memory chips.

I have been very happy with this configuration. I routinely run ~140-rank sample sets, mostly of my own design.

Les

mdyde

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 12:58 pm

Hello Les,

The 6-core i7 Intel Mac Mini with 64GB of factory-installed RAM is still available brand new from Apple currently, in the UK at least.
Best regards, Martin.

ldeutsch

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 2:41 pm

Indeed! Is is available in the US too - but you have to select it bin the "Tech Specs" area before going to "Buy." It is worth looking for...

TSday

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 4:50 pm

Just got a quote of $2000.00 for an i7 with 32 gigs of ram and 512 ssd. M1 chip with 16 gigs of ram is just over $1000.
Currently running quad core mac mini with 16 gigs of ram on 10.12 version of software.
Thom.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 1:08 pm

P.S. I see that Apple discontinued the Intel Mac Mini today, replacing it with a model based on their new Apple M2-series CPUs that allows a maximum of 32 GB of RAM. Hence unfortunately 64 GB-capable Mac Minis are no longer available from Apple (although their Mac Studio models do allow up to 128 GB, and, in the UK at least, a 64 GB Mac Studio is similarly priced to the previous Intel 64 GB Mac Mini).
Best regards, Martin.

RaymondList

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 1:40 pm

Interestingly, Apple has also reduced the price of the updated M2 Mac Minis.
Ray

larason2

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 2:06 pm

I have a mac studio, and the jump from the mini to the studio makes sense. One complaint of the minis is that they sometimes run a bit too hot, and the only real difference between the mini and the studio is the huge heat sink and fans! My mac studio has never run even warm. So it makes sense to make that jump if you're going to drive it pretty hard.

adelaideviewer

New Mac Mini - good idea?

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 12:30 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this is already being covered.
The latest Mac Mini with the M2 chip, would that be a suitable device for running Hauptwerk and with two monitors for stop jambs.

Many thanks
Stuart

mdyde

Re: New Mac Mini - good idea?

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 4:39 am

Hello Stuart,

This recent topic discussed Mac Minis, including (briefly) the new ones:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20688

[I'll merge this topic with that one once you've had a chance to read this reply.]
Best regards, Martin.

adelaideviewer

Re: New Mac Mini - good idea?

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 7:28 am

Thank you Martin for the details - I’ve read the other posts. Cheers.

TSday

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 2:29 pm

It took a couple of days, but we have v7 playing on a 2023 mac mini with m2 chip, Ventura 13.2. It will take some time to do tweaking and polishing the various voices, 3 manual 35 rank theatre sample set, but it works. Using a Motu 24 ao for output, currently at 12 channels, will be expanded to 20. This will replace a current system using v4.
Thom.
P.s. I have not migrated a backup from original v4 setup, and not sure I need to for this setup. I do have a backup of v4 if needed.
Thom.
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs