It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

Departing from a laptop to a miniPC setup

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

abaymajr

Departing from a laptop to a miniPC setup

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 10:54 am

Since 8 years ago, when I had my first contact with Hauptwerk, I have been successfully using a 2-in-1 notebook as a portable solution between two consoles. However, the processing power of a mobile CPU and the maximum of 16GB of RAM are already limiting many 4-channel samplesets and even some 2-channel ones. Trying to work around these limitations and maintain some portability, I considered moving to a miniPC solution. There are some relatively inexpensive Chinese setups with 12th generation Intel mobile i7 or i9 processors. Does anyone have any personal experience applied to Hauptwerk with this generation of mobile CPU or the next one, and with these scaled-down miniPCs? Another issue is that they are usually limited to two SODIMM memory slots. There is no single SODIMM 64GB stick yet to achieve a desired total of 128GB. Would it be feasible to expect that, when such 64GB sticks appear, the 12th gen motherboard and processor would be compatible?
Last edited by abaymajr on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tf11972

Re: Departing from a laptop to a miniPC setup

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 12:56 pm

I don‘t know where you come from, but on german ebay I found this one. Was it small enough?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224867033726?mk ... media=COPY
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

abaymajr

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:09 pm

tf11972 wrote:I don‘t know where you come from, but on german ebay I found this one. Was it small enough?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224867033726?mk ... media=COPY

Considering the published size, it looks like a desktop mini ITX case. It doesn't quite have the size or portability of what the market now more commonly calls a miniPC. I would need something that would fit in a backpack or briefcase. Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing.

larason2

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 2:51 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to buy hardware hoping it will be compatible in the future. Standards change quite quickly, and the industry is moving to system on a chip, where it's difficult or impossible to change RAM after the fact. 64 GB is a decent amount of RAM though, really enough for all but the biggest and most demanding sets, so you may be happy with that. I'd only recommend 128 for Nancy, Melbourne Town Hall, etc. As for the form factor, buy the newest and fastest one that fits your budget and size constraints. Some of the early Mini PC's are really too slow for Hauptwerk, but they gradually got faster until they became acceptably fast. Some Hauptwerk users have had success with them, but usually the pretty late generation ones.

mnailor

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 3:44 pm

A few more example samplesets that need compromises to load on a 64 GB Windows PC:

SP: Goerlitz, Billerbeck, Groningen, Skinner

PG: Nancy, Schuke (iffy at 62 GB)

Return to Computer hardware / specs