It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:27 pm

Hauptwerk the Tablet to replace the monitor

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

michele

Hauptwerk the Tablet to replace the monitor

PostMon May 15, 2023 4:19 am

Good morning. I know you are very helpful to anyone who needs help. Thank you. I have an installation like this: I've been using Hauptwerk V advanced for a few years, I emptied my Ahlborn preludium III installed at home and loaded it via midi to a Nuc computer with Windows system, 2Tera memory, i7 processor, 64 Gb of Ram , Steinberg sound card from which I command, play and listen to various splendid Sonus Paradisi organs, using an Ausus touch screen monitor connected to an audio system.

Can some generous musician - electronic technician please tell me if I can read the wonderful organs sampled by Sonus Paradisi - instead of with the Ausus monitor - with a tablet that allows me to read and control (by changing the screen) also the scores in PDF format? I'm sure that whoever will want to spend some time with me will want to tell me the reason for one of a (possible) negative answer, or an alternative so that I can eliminate the bulk of the monitor for travelling.

Thank you very much.
mundamichele@gmail.com

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk the Tablet to replace the monitor

PostMon May 15, 2023 4:52 am

Hello Michele,

If I understand correctly, you'd like to use a tablet as a touch-screen monitor for your NUC PC, instead of a using conventional touch-screen monitor. I believe there are applications that allow a tablet/smartphone to be used as an additional screen for a desktop computer, but I don't have experience with those myself. Maybe some other forum users have tried them and can comment on how well they work and whether they can be used even without a conventional monitor also attached to the PC.

[I'll move this topic to the 'Computer hardware' section of the forum once you've had a chance to read it.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostMon May 15, 2023 5:06 am

You might look at Duet (https://www.duetdisplay.com/). It let's you use an ipad as an extension to your monitor screen (like a second monitor). I don't know if it will work without an attached monitor.

Iain

michele

PostMon May 15, 2023 5:33 am

IainStinson wrote:You might look at Duet (https://www.duetdisplay.com/). It let's you use an ipad as an extension to your monitor screen (like a second monitor). I don't know if it will work without an attached monitor.

Iain

Thanks, Len. But the shopkeeper near my house told me that Hauptwerk doesn't allow all tablets to read their own schedule. Since I want to eliminate the monitor, which tablet could be able to read Hauptwerk which allows access to the Sonus Paradisi organs?

IainStinson

PostMon May 15, 2023 5:59 am

You normally need a monitor to start (boot) the system. Whilst you can run systems without a monitor (headless) they can be more complex to set up and support.

Hauptwerk interacts with the user through the monitor(s). and with the Duet system you can put some of the HW windows on to the ipad display (and use touch). and "ignore" the main monitor.

There are some ways of using an ipad to control parts of the virtual organ in other waysbut as far as i know they still require the system monitor to be present (albleit a small one). See https://hexler.net/touchosc.

(BTW The Duet solution can operate without a system monitor if you are using a MAC.)

Iain

mdyde

PostMon May 15, 2023 6:43 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostMon May 15, 2023 6:48 am

Hello Michele,

A quick thought, to add to Iain's replies: instead of trying to use a tablet, you could perhaps alternatively look at portable touch-screen monitors. They should behave like conventional (non-portable) touch-screens, except that they're designed to be more easily transported around. I don't have any experience with them myself, but Internet searches will probably find reviews of them in general.

One point to bear in mind that is that Hauptwerk requires a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 (if non-DPI, or double that if it's a DPI monitor), so make sure you get one that is large enough.
Best regards, Martin.

Romanos

PostTue Jul 04, 2023 6:46 am

FWIW, I have used duet just fine on my Mac to control things. That said, it is a secondary monitor. But I have no problem dragging the hauptwerk window onto the iPad and poking buttons.

abaymajr

PostTue Jul 04, 2023 11:41 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Michele,

A quick thought, to add to Iain's replies: instead of trying to use a tablet, you could perhaps alternatively look at portable touch-screen monitors. They should behave like conventional (non-portable) touch-screens, except that they're designed to be more easily transported around. I don't have any experience with them myself, but Internet searches will probably find reviews of them in general.

One point to bear in mind that is that Hauptwerk requires a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 (if non-DPI, or double that if it's a DPI monitor), so make sure you get one that is large enough.

This was exactly the solution I made possible for the new Hauptwerk setup based on a MiniPC: a portable touch display. With a foldable stand that came with it, I do not even need any support stand, although the monitor has VESA holes for this.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005005222794697.html

It's a great monitor, with very good pixel density, with very good touch sensivity, bright display and somewhat light weight. Connected to computers with full featured USB Type C, the user does not need anything than a single USB cable to power display and transport video and touch data.

Another solution, which I also made available, in case you don't have the portable monitor at hand or don't want to use it for some reason, is to install a full (and free) version of Teamviewer and enable remote access with automatic acceptance. This way, the 2-in-1 notebook I use to read and annotate scores can access the MiniPC even without any physical monitor connected to it. The tablet or notebook running Teamviewer don't need even to be cabled to the computer, being them connected to the same LAN made available by the tablet/notebook or the Hauptwerk host PC. Switching between the score application and the remote MiniPC screens is done with a simple application switch.

Return to Computer hardware / specs