It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 pm

iPad as touchscreen

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

david515mi

iPad as touchscreen

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 3:23 pm

I’m way behind the times on learning how to do this. I’m just now experimenting with using my iPad as an extended desktop (on MacOS Sonoma). I had no trouble getting a HW window onto the iPad. I’m able to select stopknobs and other controls on the iPad using an Apple Pencil or a mouse, but not using fingertips as in a traditional touchscreen. Is there any way to make the screen respond to touch?

Thanks,
David

larason2

Re: iPad as touchscreen

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 3:41 pm

Sadly, sidecar is intended to be just another screen, so Apple never bothered to utilize touch input for it (maybe in the future?). At least for the moment it won't work. People (including me!) have tried various other apps and solutions to get it to work. Probably the easiest is to buy the Duet display app. It doesn't work for everybody, but it can work. Another option is to buy the Luna Display accessory. You plug it into your mac or PC, and it streams the image to your ipad (apparently works better, but more expensive). Another option is to make a custom "skin" for one of the apps like TouchOSC, Lemur, etc. (There's loads of these apps, and I can't remember the name of them all). Basically any app that can work as a midi control interface will do it, just make the skin, and program the buttons to send a separate midi message on a channel that won't interfere with your keyboards, and you can use this as a touch interface. Then, either connect the iPad to your computer, or use a wireless midi port (tricky to set up, but works well once you figure it out). Probably the cheapest, but you'll have to learn how to make your own skins! Not too hard, but it is time consuming. I used to do this last one, but honestly it's not worth the trouble for me. These days, if I'm playing an organ that doesn't have a stop that's represented on my physical buttons, I either select it with the mouse, or I don't bother to use it!

david515mi

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 3:53 pm

Thank you! That answers my question.

mdyde

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 4:13 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs