It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:31 pm

Processors: Latest i7 vs i9?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

B777Captain

Processors i7 vs i9?

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 6:29 pm

Guys…

I’m going to purchase a new set up for HW and deciding between an i7 or i9 for my computer.

My favorite sample is Nancy but it is a complete memory hog. I’ve seen data that indicates the latest i7 would do the trick
But as soon as I get that one, a sample set even larger than Nancy will come to HW and I’ll be back in the same boat as I am now.

I’m down to using just 2 of 4 perspectives on Nancy and STILL get into the RED on occassion.

Anyways, would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the differences and which might fit my needs well.

Thanks,

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

B777Captain

Processors: Latest i7 vs i9?

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 6:35 pm

I’m in the process to purchase a new set up for my HW and deciding between an i7 or i9 processor for my computer.

My favorite sample is Nancy but it is a complete memory hog. I’ve seen data that indicates the latest i7 would do the trick
But as soon as I get that one, a sample set even larger than Nancy will come to HW and I’ll be back in the same boat as I am now. Ideally, I’d get a new setup that would take Nancy with all 4 perspectives active and play large chord like music with no interruptions or issues that I currently have.

I’m down to using just 2 of 4 perspectives on Nancy and STILL get into the RED on the CPU meter.

Anyways, would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the differences and which might fit my needs well.

Thanks,

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

Re: Processors: Latest i7 vs i9?

PostWed Jun 05, 2024 8:22 pm

The corresponding high-end models, i9 14900K and i7 14700K, are very similar in performance:

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/i ... -i7-14700k

Even the i7-14700K beats my i9-12900K by a big margin, and the i9-12900K beats Nancy:

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/i ... -i7-14700k

mdyde

PostThu Jun 06, 2024 3:53 am

Hello Pat,

I've merged your two topics together and moved them here. Just for future reference, please try to avoid posting the same question in multiple sections of the forum (which is termed 'cross-posting'), since people potentially then need to reply in duplicate, or may post answers without being aware of other relevant answers that other users may have already posted in the other topics. Many thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Anto800

PostFri Jun 07, 2024 9:34 am

In my experience, I have always encountered problems with Intel processors combined with Hauptwerk, problems of "nervous work" which translates into annoying disturbances in the speakers, not to mention all the activities to try to resolve this "nervousness" (no internet services, no sysmain, priority with process lasso, etc, etc). I recently had the opportunity to test a Hauptwerk PC with an Amd Ryzen 7 7700x processor, 96 GB RAM and 2 M2 hard disks. I was amazed, zero optimizations, very stable processor, loads sample sets at a speed of 1.5 gb/sec and holds 20,000 polyphonic notes without problems with latency at 13 ms... :D

mdyde

PostFri Jun 07, 2024 9:57 am

Hello Anton800,

I'm not aware of any reason that the make of the processor (Intel vs. AMD) would be directly relevant in that regard -- I suspect that was just coincidence. The motherboard, graphics card, other components of the PC, and their drivers are usually responsible for whether any given PC has problems with audio glitches. Certainly we get plenty of people asking for help resolving audio glitches on both Intel and AMD-based PCs. Some PCs work well for real-time audio/MIDI, whereas others need tweaking.
Best regards, Martin.

B777Captain

PostFri Jun 07, 2024 9:03 pm

MNailor….

Thanks for your reply!

Would the i7-14700k be enough to use all 4 perspectives on Nancy in a heavy load situation?

Francois has mentioned to me the i7 would be plenty and able to bring up the polyphony to around 14,000, which I saw on a demo I sent him thru whatever device he had access to for a few weeks.

Thanks

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostFri Jun 07, 2024 10:34 pm

The 14700K is faster than my 12900K. I use all 4 perspectives of Nancy with polyphony limit 16000 at sample rate 48k and buffer size 256, so you should be able to do at least that well. If you play virtuoso stuff or run at 96k, you might get somewhat less polyphony but still good enough.

magnaton

PostFri Jun 07, 2024 11:06 pm

B777Captain wrote:MNailor….

Thanks for your reply!

Would the i7-14700k be enough to use all 4 perspectives on Nancy in a heavy load situation?t

Hello Pat:

I built an i7 11Gen processor, 128GB of RAM for a customer who is running Nancy with all 4 perspectives at 48K with no issues. I don't know the respective bit rates but I do know none are at 16. So a 14700k would indeed work as desired.

Danny B.
VoceInstruments.com

B777Captain

PostMon Jun 10, 2024 4:19 pm

Thanks Danny B! I appreciate the info!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

vpo-organist

PostWed Jun 12, 2024 5:44 pm

magnaton wrote:I built an i7 11Gen processor, 128GB of RAM for a customer who is running Nancy with all 4 perspectives at 48K with no issues. I don't know the respective bit rates but I do know none are at 16. So a 14700k would indeed work as desired.

The decisive factor is the polyphony setting. If you set it to 3000, you can probably play any sample set with restrictions. People often don't realize that Hauptwerk fades out the reverb tails when this value is exceeded. You can also hear this on various recordings (the voices become drier and drier).

larason2

PostThu Jun 13, 2024 10:39 pm

Isn't it that the i9's usually have more cores? If that's the case, get an i9 of the latest generation you can. More cores make a lot more difference than the other specs in my experience. The benchmarks try to capture this, but not many programs use up the cores the way Hauptwerk does. My computer has ten cores. Had it eight cores, I would have been able to overload them all playing the PAB with my arm/feet and every stop/coupler pulled. That's not realistic, but for Nancy on max, it might be realistic! If you look at all the i9's from the most recent generation, there's only one with less than 8 cores, some have many more, whereas the i7's have at the most 8 cores. I'd get a 10 core chip for sure if you can afford it. I think thay's going to be a minimum standard in the future.

B777Captain

PostMon Jun 24, 2024 5:32 pm

So, I’ve decided to go with the i9 processor! I was pleasantly surprised when Francois, my consultant mentioned that the pricing difference between the two was only $250, so I will get that i9.

Figured for that price difference it will be worth the extra. Besides, I’ll be SO ready for when the Atlantic City Hall Boardwalk Organ becomes available as a HW sample… or the big Wanamaker organ! :D

Thanks for all your help making this decision gang!! Much appreciated.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mdyde

PostTue Jun 25, 2024 2:13 am

Thanks, Pat. Hope you enjoy the new system.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Computer hardware / specs