It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 pm

Lexicon mx400

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Wadih

Lexicon mx400

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 am

Dear Forum members,

This is my first post in the forum but I have been reading all different posts for the past three years. I know that there are many posts related to the subject of my message, but I will be greatful if someone could advice on how to connect Lexicon mx400 to my setup and get the best of it as I felt a bit lost when I read the old related posts.

I just bought the L mx400 to replace tc electronics m350 effects processor. I used a strait forward connection with tc m350: left/right mono inserts going out from my focusrite Scarlett 8i6 main out to tc left/right mono inputs, and from tc left/right mono outputs to my Harman 7.1 amplifier. Note that I don't use multichannel configuration and the sound is generated from a Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver through to JBL speakers: 2 x 250w front, 1 x 125w ctr, 4 x 125 surround and 1 x 400w sub. The sound result was more than enough for my living room and with the added reverb I got a satisfying cathedral like effect.

As I read that Lexicon gives a more realistic result, I decided to buy one and I have also bought a PreSonus HP4 headphones amplifier. I hooked up the new setup last evening in the following orde: L/R mono out from Scarlett to L/R mono in Lexicon, L/R mono out from Lexicon to L/R mono in PreSonus HP4 and L/R mono out to Harman receiver. It was late night when I was finished setting up things so I did not give it a try especially that I needed to read how to configure Lexicon. Tc m350 did not require reading as all can be controlled with knobs and it was straight forward, while Lexicon requires some time until you find your way as I can see.

I am not sure if the way I connected things will work or there is a better way to do it. The confusion is mainly because in the Lexicon manual, all listed and illustrated possible connections are through a mixer.

I appreciate any recommendation or advice and I appologize if the same subject was treated before. I also welcome any suggestion regarding the configuration of the Lexicon.

Thanking you all for looking into this.

Kind regards,
Wadih

1961TC4ME

Re: Lexicon mx400

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 1:10 pm

Hello Wadih,

Although you can also connect the Lexicon through a mixer, this is mainly only to add an effects loop through the mixer to certain tracks on the mixer, something you really don't need to worry about for Hauptwerk unless you were doing recordings and / or you wanted to mix in the effects of the Lexicon to a recording you were working with. Implementing a mixer also applies more to multi-channel set-ups / recordings as well which doesn't apply here since you are using 2 channels only R / L. If you are using the Lexicon mainly for 'real time' playing which is where you add effects to your sample sets as you play, then no need to worry about a mixer as it is not at all needed and the way you have the Lexicon connected now is exactly how it should be, sound card, to the Lexicon, and then to the amp.

Marc

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 1:25 pm

"I know that I am not the only Hauptwerker using a Lex. MX400" ?

I spent a number of hours reading, and adjusting my Lex.,
I wound up using the Surround Setting, (even though I don't often use my rear speakers)
The settings are all accomplished by setting the Program load Knob first (I think mine is at 16)
then the other three knobs are used to modify the basic settings,
and they are also pressed in from the front to activate settings.
I worked myself to exhaustion,
until I got the "Naturally Transparent Acoustical Effect that I was after !
I saved my settings (? ? ?), and every time I start my Organ, the Lex. performs it's Magic.

I installed a Stereo splitter box on My "HW Headphone Sub Mix outputs,
feeding a Left Right Speaker Pair, as well as a Headphone amp that feeds my AKG Phones !
I love the naturalness of the Lex,
and it will do, until Martin finally incorporates IR Reverb in Hauptwerk ? ? ?
Best wishes , Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Wadih

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Dear Marc,

Many thanks for explaining the mixer role if integrated in a setup. Obviously, as you said, I do not need one since I will be using the Lexicon for real time performance and not for recording. Thank you for also confirming that the way I connected things is correct. Your reply is much appreciated.

Dear Mel,

Many thanks for your inputs and for sharing your experience. I believe that the Lexicon will add beautiful results on the overall sound, this is the main reason why I bought it.
I am sure that I will need to spend hours trying to find the suitable setup for my liking and I know I still have a way to go. More important is to find a setup that could work when I play through my sound system or my AKG702 65 anniversary special edition.

Thank you
Wadih

Arp

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Hello All,
I hope someone can help me.
A few days ago I bought Lexicon MX400,I can not install the software, because the CD is outdated (2006) .
My OS is Mac Yosemite. Someone in the forum could suggest where to get the updated software with library? I wrote to Lexicon, I still have not heard back.
Thank you

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Wadih,

I did not clearly explain how I connected my Lex. .

I have three speakers on each side of my console,
the three on the Left are playing the pipe samples of the Main chamber, rotating (C-C#-D,etc.)
the three on the right are playing the pipe samples of the Solo chamber, rotating (C-C#-D,etc.),
What I did not explain clearly, was that I set up 2 Submixes in Hauptwerk one for all Main sounds,
and the other for all the Solo sounds, (All Mono.) :roll:

I also added the 2 Bass channels into the same 2 sub-mixes.

The 2 Sub-mix outputs, from my sound board are connected Directly to the Lexicon inputs,
The 2 Outputs of the Lex. then go to my homemade Jack-box,

which then gives me two pairs of L & R outputs with Lex. Reverb.

One stereo output pair goes into my headphone preamp (with reverb), then to my AKG 701's.

The other stereo outputs, go to a separate pair of speakers
on opposite sides of my console, with Reverb, for live playing !

This sounds good to me and the Lex has quite a few delightful,
"Two input--Four output (Surround) settings",
most of which are, numbers, 1 to 16 or so !

Stick with it, when it is set up right, the ambience is so real it is uncanny. :D
Mel

Wadih

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 3:33 am

Hi Mel,

Many thanks for the detailed description. Very useful, indeed, you just drew my attention to the fact that I have surround output channels on the Lex in additionto the main outputs. I am not using them currently, but I will since I am using two amplifiers. Maybe I can assign the second amp for the extra surround output. Will experiment and let you know.

All the best,
Wadih

Arp

PostThu May 12, 2016 4:01 am

TheOrganDoc wrote:"I know that I am not the only Hauptwerker using a Lex. MX400" ?

I spent a number of hours reading, and adjusting my Lex.,
I wound up using the Surround Setting, (even though I don't often use my rear speakers)
The settings are all accomplished by setting the Program load Knob first (I think mine is at 16)
then the other three knobs are used to modify the basic settings,
and they are also pressed in from the front to activate settings.
I worked myself to exhaustion,
until I got the "Naturally Transparent Acoustical Effect that I was after !
I saved my settings (? ? ?), and every time I start my Organ, the Lex. performs it's Magic.

I installed a Stereo splitter box on My "HW Headphone Sub Mix outputs,
feeding a Left Right Speaker Pair, as well as a Headphone amp that feeds my AKG Phones !
I love the naturalness of the Lex,
and it will do, until Martin finally incorporates IR Reverb in Hauptwerk ? ? ?
Best wishes , Mel

Hi , organdoc.
Can you tell me what kind of setting are you using? the factory set does not really like.
Thanks

TheOrganDoc

PostThu May 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Hello Arp,

I remember "many moons ago" repairing a few Arp, Synthesizers,
no connection, ------I would imagine ? ?

When I first connected my MX 400,
I played with the two Input--4 output settings of the Big Knob,
as well as the adjustments of the three small knobs,
"and yes I saved some of the changes that I made" ! :wink:

That was almost two years ago and my 79 years old,
memory does not work as well as it used to,
except for remembering many of the melody's that
were so popular "Way back then" ! :roll:

My apology to you, as to a clearer understanding of the MX 400 settings !
Mel

hptschupp

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Hello TheOrganDoc

I spent a number of hours reading, and adjusting my Lex., I wound up using the Surround Setting, (even though I don't often use my rear speakers) The settings are all accomplished by setting the Program load Knob first (I think mine is at 16) then the other three knobs are used to modify the basic settings, and they are also pressed in from the front to activate settings. I worked myself to exhaustion, until I got the "Naturally Transparent Acoustical Effect that I was after !

I use a Lexicon MX400 in a music school for my Canon Privia Piano but also Hauptwerk. I have a 4 speaker setup 2 front 2 back. The reverb results are currently OK but not overwhelming. I use Surround with Program Preset 7. I'm really interested in your "natural" fine tuning. I think there are about 9 parameters that can be adjusted with the 3 knobs A/B/C in sequence. Since you already spent hours of fine tuning I would be interested in your settings.

TheOrganDoc

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi, In am presently using " program 1, User, surround mode " ,
and I have increased the Treble to maximum,
and the room size to about 30 .

The settings are tricky,
but once saved to your satisfaction,
it restarts the same, with every power-up. :D

Hopefully Martin, will provide in the near future,
natural sounding IR Reverb, in Hauptwerk,
as was promised some years ago ! :roll:

Best wishes to you and yours.

Return to Amplification