It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm

2 input SP/DIF for channels 9/10??

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

orgoblo

2 input SP/DIF for channels 9/10??

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 1:55 am

Hi Forum

I need a better DA for HW mixdown channels 9/10 as mine tends to develop a sudden short blitz (hi freq loud crack) noise when several tabs are set...even at low volume (its not volume...its digital in. I should add: THis is almost 100% repeated when I depress mid C and B flat below mid C. What a racket. Sounds like harmonic distortion! I am listening on headphones directly plugged into the DAC so there are no amps, audio cables, etc. Let me add this: I drive the LEFT IN with channel 9 and the RIGHt IN with channel 10 (from the Delta 1010LT). Maybe this is incorrect?? But the present DA has 2 channel in (L/R) and 2 channel out. I guess this DAC is a FOUR CHANNEL?? ANyhoo....I am wondering whether my DA is being used correctly.

I see folks use M audio Flying Cow and the Gefen. BUT>...I understand these are ONE CHANNEL IN....and make for stereo out (I guess sythesize the other channel. I NEED 2 DIGITAL CHANNELS IN / or 2 units. MOre so: .I need to know how you manage BOTH channel 9 and 10 using the GEFEN or even the magic cow?? I don't see how you do it with just ONE of the above mentioned DA's.

organtechnology

Re: 2 input SP/DIF for channels 9/10??

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 9:09 am

orgoblo wrote:Hi Forum

I need a better DA for HW mixdown channels 9/10 as mine tends to develop a sudden short blitz (hi freq loud crack) noise when several tabs are set...even at low volume (its not volume...its digital in. I should add: THis is almost 100% repeated when I depress mid C and B flat below mid C. What a racket. Sounds like harmonic distortion! I am listening on headphones directly plugged into the DAC so there are no amps, audio cables, etc. Let me add this: I drive the LEFT IN with channel 9 and the RIGHt IN with channel 10 (from the Delta 1010LT). Maybe this is incorrect?? But the present DA has 2 channel in (L/R) and 2 channel out. I guess this DAC is a FOUR CHANNEL?? ANyhoo....I am wondering whether my DA is being used correctly.

I see folks use M audio Flying Cow and the Gefen. BUT>...I understand these are ONE CHANNEL IN....and make for stereo out (I guess sythesize the other channel. I NEED 2 DIGITAL CHANNELS IN / or 2 units. MOre so: .I need to know how you manage BOTH channel 9 and 10 using the GEFEN or even the magic cow?? I don't see how you do it with just ONE of the above mentioned DA's.

Hi,

Channels 9 & 10 are the two channels of the SPDIF output connector which is a black cable and a white RCA connector. This connection is referred to as 'coaxial'. This single cable carries a digital signal in SPDIF format to the D/A which converts the digital signal to two analog signals. The analog signals usually are available from two RCA jacks which are red and white, and are analog outputs for connection to a stereo amplifier/speaker combination. If your D/A has 2 channels in then it is not an SPDIF input . You should have one input either coaxial or fiber optic and two analog outs. Gefen may sell a D/A which has two digital inputs but it may not be SPDIF.

https://www.amazon.com/Gefen-Digital-Ad ... B0013LWK3A
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

1961TC4ME

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 10:03 am

I too am the proud owner of a 1010LT and purchased one of these to use channels 9/10 and it works perfectly.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4234 ... _Converter

As Thomas points out, the 1010LT has a single digital output requiring you to connect a single RCA looking type cable (that has the orange ends) to one end of the box (that is if you want the box located further away than the 1010 LT output cable will allow), the box then converts the signal to L/R analog outputs, you connect a regular L/R (white / red) RCA cable to the other end of the box, and then connect it directly to the L/R inputs on your amp, etc.

I have 9/10 set as mix-down and have the L/R outputs from the converter box connected to the 'Aux in' on one of my amps (all other 1010LT outputs when I use the speakers are connected to the CD inputs), so if I want to listen on headphones I just switch that one amp to 'Aux,' connect my headphones, turn off the other amps so no speakers are sounding, and I'm in business.

Marc

orgoblo

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks forum! Now I see said the blind man. My distortion is due to OVERDRIVING ThE Delta 1010LT. How do I adjust the max level of Channel 9/10 mixdown to prevent OVERDRIVE of the DA??? I imagine it is in the audio group pull down. Is there a 'box' in which I set this level value??
Best
Dave

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Adjust the SPDIF Channels 9 + 10 Levels, In Hauptwerk Audio Settings ! !
You can only use one input to the SPDIF Box, as one is Coax (RCA plug),
and the other (Is for "Fiber-Optic Only"). :idea:
I went through all of this, last year,
and I am using my Gefen for my Two Pedal outputs successfully. :D
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

orgoblo

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Got it! I think the level is just too hot from channel 9 to the DA. I will go in and reduce by maybe 10 db and see if the distortion at max expression (and playing c and B flat) vanishes.

Best
Dave

Return to Amplification