It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

Exactly what the various audio output group algorithms do

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Re: Exactly what the various audio output group algorithms d

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 12:43 pm

The behavior you describe is what I was hoping for!

I just tested with two and three stops in the same group. Dynamic/cyclic does seem to consistently play all the pipes for one note, struck once, on only one stereo pair, switching to the other pairs only on restrike or when playing other notes. (I assume a release sample start or a convolution reverb instance doesn't increment the counter, since reverb seems to stay on the same output.)

Since the counters are per group, having a surround perspective pointing to another group shouldn't affect allocation in the main group, so I'm wondering what I've set up wrong.

I'll have to disable my rank perspective 3 (rear) on St. Annes to test this without a surround rank, though it seems that it shouldn't matter unless surround were in the same bus group. I also need to test at a higher volume to make sure all activity is visible on the MOTU's audio level meters. I also need to verify on the little lighted dots in HW mixer.

So, many chances that I'm wrong... Will update later.

Thank you.

mnailor

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Unsurprisingly, it works as you said it would. Stupid user errors in observation on my part: Soft stops didn't show in MOTU audio level meters until I turned up the trim, and daylight washes out the little indicator dots on the HW mixer screen.

Dynamic allocation does send multiple pipes from one note press to different outputs if the group has more than one.

Pipes moving around don't bother me -- each group of speakers is pretty uniform and coming from the same direction.

That will save me a lot of setting note offsets. Thank you!

mdyde

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks, Mark. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Previous

Return to Amplification