It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

HW 5.0 - Audio Mixer “tutorial”

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

münsterorganist

Re: HW 5.0 - Audio Mixer “tutorial”

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 am

Dear Martin,
a short suggestion for a better overview of the mixer: please include the mixer Preset in the bottom row of the screen. You can immediately see which mixer is active. Thank you very much.

mdyde

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 4:06 am

Hello münsterorganist,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've logged it as an enhancement request for future consideration.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 7:13 am

It would be good to have the preset number and the wetness control as mini dockable control panels and the preset number send via the HW console status midi output (the wetness is already sent).
Iain

mdyde

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 am

Thanks, Iain.
Best regards, Martin.

ppytprs

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Might it be possible to not have every conceivable output or bus viewable all the time as well? It's confusing and rather dull to have to scroll past 1000 unused busses to get to preset 2 for example. Or as I just found out, to scroll past endless stereo outputs that don't exist to find the mono ones.
What they do in programs like Logic is that all the options are invisible until you need them. So if you want to use 2 channels, you add 2 channels to your mixer. If you want 24, you add 24 etc.

As an aside, I'd love to see the Hauptwerk system that managed to use 1024 outputs! I can't think of hardware that would allow that!

mdyde

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 1:10 pm

Hello ppytprs,

Yes -- we do hope to implement something like that in the longer-term future. (Right now, the focus is on being able to get v5.0.1 ready as soon as possible.)
Best regards, Martin.

blueband95

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 pm

[quote="ppytprs"]Ok. So it was master mix bus 1 that I removed the output from, so I can add the reverb there? That makes sense.
I haven't managed to figure out what the intermediate busses do![/quote

I've posted up some additional reference documents that help spell out some this, after taking a bunch of notes to try to figure out how everything works together. Some of the references are laid out in a visual form, which really helps me conceptualize the complex system that is the HWV mixer. They might help you wrap your head around the system a bit better.

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18204

All the best!

- Matthew

ppytprs

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 1:58 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello ppytprs,

Yes -- we do hope to implement something like that in the longer-term future. (Right now, the focus is on being able to get v5.0.1 ready as soon as possible.)

Of course, I wasn't it expecting it next week or anything. The week after will be fine. :)

mdyde

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 5:16 am

Since some people seem to have had some difficulty getting their heads around the changes between v4's and v5's audio routing, I thought I'd also post this here (since this thread is 'sticky'), in case anybody finds it helpful:

mdyde wrote:v5's underlying routing architecture is exactly the same as v4's -- the screens have just been renamed slightly (and they can also now do a lot more that v4 couldn't, and quicker, and all in real-time, and with visual feed-back).

For example:

- v4: 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen is now:
- v5: 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen.

- v4 'primary audio outputs' on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen are now the:
- v5 'primary mixer buses' on the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen.

- v4 'aux mix-down outputs' on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen are now the:
- v5 'master mix buses' on the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen.

- v4: 'General settings | Audio output groups' screen is now:
- v5: 'General settings | Advanced audio ... | Audio mixer bus groups' screen.

- v4: ranks were routed to audio output groups using the ''Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank ... screen.
- v5: ranks are routed to audio mixer bus groups using 'Organ settings | Advanced audio … | Rank routing …' screen.

Hence if you like, in v5 you can just imagine you're using v4, and use the differently-named screens above in the same way that you would use them in v4. I.e.:

- Set up some primary buses on the mixer for your speaker pairs ('General settings | Audio mixer' screen).
- Put those buses into groups as desired ('General settings | Advanced audio ... | Audio mixer bus groups' screen).
- Route ranks to the desired groups ('Organ settings | Advanced audio … | Rank routing …' screen).

[For v4-type audio routing, just ignore the additional new 'audio output perspectives' on the voicing/panning and rank routing screens, since they're intended for surround/3D sound. You can also just ignore 'mixer presets' 2-7 if you want all organs to use the same audio groups, as would have been necessary in v4.]
Best regards, Martin.

chrisdfrith

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 12:54 pm

Hello Lain,

Many thanks for your kind sharing of helpful task-oriented HW5 audio configs and those who contributed to your share. Many of us just want to know the clicks and steps to configure our initial HW5 auto setups and get going. Your cheat sheet goes a long way toward that end. Eventually, I hope to wrap my head around the whole new audio setup in HW5. But, as many have noted, it is a bit overwhelming to digest.

I wonder if you or another might help with a slightly modified HW5 audio config to one that you've already documented but with a twist. I have eight speakers at the front, two subs (and a larger room for my HW organ), with two speakers at the rear. Rather than mixing down the the front/rear channels for the sub, I'd like to try splitting the bass for each of the ranks thus routing the bass notes to the two subs at a natural break point for both the front and rear speakers.

My front and rear speakers are Adam A7Xs. They are really good down to 80-100 Hz. Below that I'd like to route the rest of each rank to the two Rythmik Audio18" Direct Servo subwoofers. How would I go about set up for the groups and routes for the subs along with the front and rear groups? I'm guessing this would also allow me to better control the level of the signal going to the subs per organ. In the HW5 sub mix down set up, I could not figure out how to manage the level for the subs for each different organ using the same mixer profile.

Also, for my wet sampled organs, I still like some sound going to the rear speakers albeit at a lower volume. How should I modify the HW5 audio config you documented to enable this? Many thanks for all of your contributions!!

Chris

IainStinson

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Rather than mixing down the the front/rear channels for the sub, I'd like to try splitting the bass for each of the ranks thus routing the bass notes to the two subs at a natural break point for both the front and rear speakers.

I don't use the "rank split" facility myself.

However from reading the HW 5 manual...
1. You need to create a Mixer Bus Group which includes the "speakers" you wish to use for Main/upper part of the ranks, lets call this "main_group".
2. You also need to create a Mixer Bus Group for the bass part of the rank, lets call it "bass_group" which includes the "speakers" you wish to use for the bass part of the rank.
3. For those ranks you wish to "split" on the Rank Routing to Audio Mixer(primary) Bus Group for multi-channel output panel
    a.You need to assign a Mixer Bus Group to the Main/upper part of the rank(s); assign the Mixer Bus Group "main_group" to Rank output 1. Select the bus allocation algorithm you wish to use (I would use "Static:cyclic with octave, octaves cycled). Make sure that the other Rank outputs 2,3 & 4) have their destination mixer bus group set to a mixer bus group which has no primaries in it (<none> in my examples).
    b. Click on the "Bass part of the rank" tab at the top of the screen (and open the rank allocation for the Bass part of the rank). This screen is like the other allocation screen but includes a section at the top of each Rank Output section where you specify the "split note number" (see HW 5 manual pg 191).
    c. For Rank Output 1 assign the Mixer Bus Group you have created, "bass_group" as the Destination mixer bus group; select the note where you want the split to start (Notes above the split go go the Main/upper Mixer Bus group set up in a, "main_group" and this note and the notes below go the ot Mixer Bus Group set up on this tab, "bass_group".). Select an allocation algorithm for this rank output. Make sure tha the other Rank outputs 2,3 & 4) have their destination mixer bus group set to a mixer bus group which has no primaries in it (<none> in my examples).

You need to allocate each rank you want to "split" in this way. Remember you can use multiple select (cntl+shift) to select several ranks which you want to be routed in the same way.

I would not use a sub woofer for the bass part of the rank alone - you need a full range speaker to play harmonics (sounds) which the typical sub woofer will not play.

Perhaps you could use three speakers for the front main/upper sounds and one pair plus the sub for the bass/lower sounds. For the rear I would send a mix-down from the rear primary (two rear speakers) to the sub.

If I get a moment I'll send you a suggested configuration....

The level of sound going to any speaker / sub may be adjusted on the Primary Bus or master Mix Bus panel...

Iain
Previous

Return to Amplification