It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 pm

HW 5.0 - Audio Mixer “tutorial”

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

IainStinson

HW 5.0 - Audio Mixer “tutorial”

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:14 pm

The HW 5 manual has two chapters on the new audio system (including the reverberation system).

I wrote a set of notes to help me understand this facility which may be of some assistance to others. You can find it at https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/hw5-audio-notes.pdf.

There are four sections to this document.
I Notes - provides an overview of the multi-channel audio system and explains the various terms used.
II Details of my audio set up for HW 5.0 - explains how I set up my multi-channel audio system for use with HW 5.0 building on experience gained with earlier versions of Hauptwerk.
III Hauptwerk “default audio” settings explained - discusses the setup of the default audio settings in HW 5.0 and looks at how it is routed.
IV Setting up my audio system using the Hauptwerk defaults— describes how I set up the equivalent audio setting to my “normal” set up using Hauptwerk 5.0 default audio settings as a starting point.

I also notice a useful blog entry on the SP website about using the audio mixer at http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/understanding-hw5-mixer/

Iain

OrganoPleno

Re: HW 5.0 - Audio Mixer “tutorial”

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:57 pm

IainStinson wrote:I wrote a set of notes to help me understand this facility which may be of some assistance to others.

I also notice a useful blog entry on the SP website...

Thanks! Both of these resources look to be extremely helpful!

mnailor

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Iain,

Thank you for your very helpful writeup. I was struggling, and you made my day!

Mark

mdyde

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 5:56 am

[Topic moved here and made 'sticky' so that people can find it easily to refer to it. Thanks again, Iain.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 5:42 am

Also, for the benefit of anybody reading this thread that might not already have found it, the full documentation for Hauptwerk v5's audio routing/mixer/reverb functionality is in the two 'Audio routing and impulse response reverb ...' chapters in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 166-201 in the current v5.0.0 version). Also, for those used to v4's routing functionality, the summary in the 'Changes in version 5.0.0 above version 4.2.1: Advanced Edition only: audio routing, multiple audio output perspectives, and associated voicing changes' section in the release notice (pages 5-8 in the v5.0.0 version) explains the changes and how the new routing functionality and terminology relates to those from v4:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

In the main Hauptwerk user guide's routing sections, 'Example 6: multi-channel audio with 24 (or more) speakers configured as stereo pairs in 3 groups of 4 pairs each, with different organ divisions routed to different groups, optionally plus a sub-woofer, optionally with an additional pair of ‘rear’ speakers for surround-sound, optionally with an additional pair of speakers as an ‘aux reverb mix’ with added reverb (which can be bypassed, or its wetness adjusted, on a per-organ basis)' (pages 196-201) gives an example of routing different divisions to different groups. (If you only want to use a single stereo pair of speakers for each division, then you would only want one mixer bus, i.e. speaker pair, in each of your groups/divisions).

Note also that if you simply want your existing v4 audio routing to be entirely unchanged from v4 (and you don't plan to take advantage of any of the new routing abilities that v5 offers), then when you first launch v5 just allow it to migrate your existing audio routing/settings, by making sure that that you un-tick the 'Discard migrated Hauptwerk v4 audio settings and reset audio device settings' option on the General Configuration Wizard when it runs automatically upon first launch of v5. [If you have already launched v5 and reset the routing then note that you could potentially get (all of) your v4 settings back, including audio routing, by using 'File | Restore ...' in v5 to restore the last settings backup you made from 4, then re-launching v5, then un-ticking that 'Discard migrated Hauptwerk v4 audio settings and reset audio device settings' option when prompted.]
Best regards, Martin.

JRP

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 1:48 am

Thanks Iain for sharing your audio setup. I was totally confused by the audio setup and had read the manual and release notes a number of times. I then stumbled across your tutorial, printed it out and followed it exactly - it worked. Thankyou for taking the time to preparing the tutorial - it is gold.

As a suggestion to the forum moderators, I think the tutorial should be pinned so that other users can find it easily.

mdyde

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 5:21 am

Hello JRP,

JRP wrote:As a suggestion to the forum moderators, I think the tutorial should be pinned so that other users can find it easily.

Yes -- it's already pinned (made 'sticky') so that it stays visible at the top of this section of the forum for handy reference.
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

PostMon Dec 23, 2019 6:28 pm

I've written two further guides to setting up the audio for HW 5.0.
One describes setting up the system with for a stereo set up with multiple pairs of speakers for the main output and the second describes setting up multiple audio groups so that different divisions can be allocated to different sets of "speakers".

Both guides may be found on my web site at https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/.

I hope you find them helpful.

Iain

mdyde

PostTue Dec 24, 2019 4:32 am

Thanks very much, Iain. Have a very good Christmas.
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 5:53 pm

I've updated my audio tutorial documents. They may be found on the web page
https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/.

Iain

StephenM

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Iain,
Thx for your pdfs.
You have updated the "Step by Step" tutorial, which I have followed over and over.
I think you have solved 2 of my problems, but I still can't understand the graphic in Step 13 which shows Mixer Preset 5. The text has been corrected.

Stephen
Australia

IainStinson

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:37 am

Thanks for your interest in the audio tutorials - I hope they have been of some assistance.
The image shown for step 13 (referred to above) is the wrong image. This image should have shown Mixr prst 1 not Mixr prst 5. The detailed settings are correct only the Mixr prst is incorrect. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll update the text.
Iain

ppytprs

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 6:11 am

I've been playing a little with the mixer, only really enough to set it up for my system (much like Ian's).
What I've been wondering is if you can assign all the ranks to a bus, add reverb to that, then send that to your speaker output group. So far I've only managed to add reverb directly to the outputs, so having to add it 4 times, which seems resource wasteful, and could easily get annoying if you had a lot of speakers. On a real mixing desk, you add reverb to the inputs (using an aux), not to the outputs.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 6:32 am

Hello ppytprs,

ppytprs wrote:What I've been wondering is if you can assign all the ranks to a bus, add reverb to that, then send that to your speaker output group. So far I've only managed to add reverb directly to the outputs, so having to add it 4 times, which seems resource wasteful, and could easily get annoying if you had a lot of speakers. On a real mixing desk, you add reverb to the inputs (using an aux), not to the outputs.

Yes -- you can easily do that -- just assign the reverb to one of the 'master mix buses' (or an intermediate mix bus). All primary buses send to the relevant master mix buses by default anyway, so you don't need even need to change any routing in that case. E.g. 'Mster mix bus 4: stereo mix 4 (aux reverb mix)' is a bus that's provided by default specifically for that purpose.
Best regards, Martin.

ppytprs

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 6:52 am

Ok. So it was master mix bus 1 that I removed the output from, so I can add the reverb there? That makes sense.
I haven't managed to figure out what the intermediate busses do!
Next

Return to Amplification