It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

Rank Routing Practice

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Doug S.

Rank Routing Practice

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 2:59 pm

I have 14 speakers currently set up as stereo pairs. I'm loading the Laurenskerk dry sample set with convolution reverb. Would it be wiser to load ranks into individual speakers versus stereo pairing. If yes, is there a preferred allocation algorithm other than the default?
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

mnailor

Re: Rank Routing Practice

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 3:19 pm

I don't know any advantage to sending stereo samples to mono speaker channels instead of preserving stereo all the way through, but maybe I've been missing something. In any case, adding IR to stereo buses works fine.

The simplest approach is to mix down all 7 source stereo pairs to one master bus and add reverb to the master bus, then output that to your reverb speaker pair.

It's possibly better to add reverb to each source stereo pair so the sample and its reverb sounds from the same speaker pair. This is like a wet stereo sampleset like Metz or Salisbury.

I like sending each source stereo pair to a different intermediate bus to add individual reverbs to each stereo pair, in order to send the reverb to a different pair of speakers for each source (limited to 8 intermediate buses). It's like a surround sampleset with multiple stereo pairs in both the front and rear audio groups that way, instead of ganging all the reverb in one pair of reverb speakers or having the reverb come from the same speakers as the source signal. That's a bit more work to set up, but I like the results best in my audio system.

josq

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:00 pm

The potential advantage of mono routing is that twice as much different speakers can be used for different ranks/samples.

With mono sound at close distance, you will strongly perceive the location of each speaker. With stereo sound, the sound source will perceived somewhere between each stereo pair of speakers, depending on the relative loudness and delay of the sound in each of the two stereo channels.

So my guess is that stereo will sound the best when you are listening/playing at close distance from the speakers. At a large distance (e.g. a Hauptwerk setup in a church) mono routing may be advantageous. In the latter case, the reverberation of the listening room (the church) should probably be preferred above any amount of artificial reverb.

The default algorithm is probably the default because it is usually the best. Cycling within an octave would remove the detrimental effects of intermodulation distortion. Moreover, I would predict that cycling ranks and octaves will increase the decorrelation of the samples, and therefore give an increased feel of spaciousness (this is just a hypothesis that I am planning to test in the near future, hopefully I can go into more detail later).

Doug S.

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Thanks,
I neglected to mention my speakers are within the casework of my pipe/HW hybrid. Laurenskerk is my first venture into a standalone Hauptwerk only version.
Doug
Doug

josq

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Doug S. wrote:Thanks,
I neglected to mention my speakers are within the casework of my pipe/HW hybrid. Laurenskerk is my first venture into a standalone Hauptwerk only version.
Doug

In case you plan to combine Hauptwerk samples with real pipes, realism would demand not to apply reverb (you can't apply artificial reverb to real pipes).

I would recommend to use stereo pairs: stereo panning (in the voicing menu) allows virtual placement of each of the virtual pipes in your organ.

Doug S.

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm

I've a CODM set that perfectly melds samples with pipes including a novel way to add reverb to the pipework.
Doug

josq

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:02 pm

Doug S. wrote: a novel way to add reverb to the pipework.

Interesting! Can you share some details?

Doug S.

PostWed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 pm

I've disclosed it to HW and hopefully it will become a feature in a future release.
Doug
Doug

mdyde

PostThu Jul 23, 2020 3:12 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Amplification