It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Pedal, Mono vs. Stereo

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Doug S.

Pedal, Mono vs. Stereo

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 2:11 pm

I've found that loading pedal 16 & 32 foot stops in mono versus stereo gives a much more satisfying result than when loaded in stereo. It sends the same signal to both speakers which moves more air and doesn't overload the speakers like stereo does. I also was able to reduce the volume slightly to compensate.
This enabled me to increase the general volume to a more satisfactory level without overloading the pedal division speakers.
D
Last edited by Doug S. on Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

josq

Re: Pedal, Mono vs. Stereo

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Interesting. What sample set, which stops exactly? Does it have impact on all pedal notes or mainly some specific notes?

Doug S.

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 5:25 pm

It helps across the board especially my Laurenskerk Dry set.
Doug

josq

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Doug S. wrote:It helps across the board especially my Laurenskerk Dry set.

I have the surround set only. Am I correct that the pedal notes either sound strongly to the left or strongly to the right when playing in stereo? This is to be expected because the real organ has pedal towers to the left and right.

In that case, it certainly makes sense that panning to mono results in a more balanced sound for the pedal stops.

Doug S.

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 am

josq,
I built a residence hybrid pipe/HW with 8 speaker pairs located mainly in the casework. Sound source location isn't a factor in this decision. I simply found that loading the grave pedal stops in stereo overloaded the individuals at the volumes required for proper tonal regulation. Loading in mono spread the load from a single stereo speaker to both speakers concurrently gave me the volume and gravity needed without overloading. It worked so well I was able to reduce the volumes slightly
Doug

murph

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 6:00 pm

With some of the dry sets, there can be considerable phase differences between L and R channels. It's really evident in Menesterol's pedal. The loading in mono ensures that one sample is used, the loudest, and is panned according to original intensity. This fixes things, with no cancellations based on mic distance. (Bear in mind, this is more a feature than a bug, but can be annoying...)

Return to Amplification