It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

Subwoofer recommendation for Hauptwerk

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

pilotorg

Subwoofer recommendation for Hauptwerk

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am

Hello. I am searching for a subwoofer to add to my 4 KRK 8-inch studio monitors. I have Hauptwerk V with a 3-manual DIY console, Focusrite Scarlet sound card, and a room that is approximately 16x25x8. The 2 primary sample sets I use are the Caen Cavaille-Coll and the Zwolle Schnitger. The KRKs sound fantastic and deliver powerful and accurate sound. But I really need something to articulate the bottom octave of 16 foot stops as well as get into the bottom octave of 32s.

After reading through various forums and doing online research, and based on my budget of up to around $1000USD, 2 current models seem to emerge: the Monolith 12 and the SVS PC-2000 Pro. Does anyone here have experience with either of these models? I know that the Monolith 12 doesn't quite make it down to 16Hz. But I'm not sure I want to spend an extra $500 just to have low C on my 32' stops that the Monolith 15 would provide. Any feedback or advice is welcome. Thank you.

magnaton

Re: Subwoofer recommendation for Hauptwerk

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Without going into the physics of sound (space required to actually develop a sound wave from a 32' pipe), I recommend checking out the offerings and specs from Rythmikaudio.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

They are price matched with SVS. I have heard these in a few Hauptwerk installations and the sound is fantastic. As one owner told me, I can't believe what I was missing all these years. The FVX12 model is on wish list.

Danny B.

larason2

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 2:05 pm

If the 12" sub you are considering doesn't go down to the 32' C, then I wouldn't consider it a good sub for Hauptwerk. Probably better to save up a bit more money and get one that covers the full range.

On the other hand, this sub has been posted before: xhttps://www.decware.com/newsite/HWK15.html
Depending on how much hands on work you want to do, you can definitely come in below your budget. You would also need a suitable power amplifier to work it, but there are many available. Also, if you have the technical skills, you could also build a pretty inexpensive amplifier using an amplifier chip and building your own enclosure: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/audio-amplifier-boards-modules/3464.

nrorganist

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm

I second Danny's suggestion of subwoofers from Rythmik Audio. I have owned and used a Rythmik F12 for 4 years:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

F12 is a 12' sealed direct servo active subwoofer with a 370 watt RMS internal amplifier. I chose it primarily for the advertised extended low frequency response: 3 db down at 14 Hz:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12_specs.html
and for the Direct Servo system because it accurately reproduce's each sample's sound.

Walking down the bottom octave of 16 foot ranks (for example at A4 = 440 Hz - 65.4 Hz down to 32.7 Hz), and 32 foot ranks (32.7 Hz to 16.4 Hz), I have confirmed that the F12 evenly and solidly reproduces every pipe. For new listeners and players of my Hauptwerk system, I have done this to demonstrate that every low end sample is being accurately reproduced.

Given my years of use, if I had the chance to choose again, I would choose a Rythmik subwoofer again.

Mark

johnstump_organist

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am

I agree with the Rhytmik recommendation. I had a rhytmik F15 and it was way more than needed for the house. I'm now using it church and will be ordering an F12 for the house.
If you want to be able to pass the signal through to other speakers for the higher frequencies, be sure get it with the A370PEQ amp which has high pass RCA outputs.
John

magnaton

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Hello Mark and John:

Is there a reason you chose the F12 sealed unit over the ported models?

Danny B.

johnstump_organist

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Everything I read, said a well-designed, responsive sub produces better bass from a sealed enclosure. Porting, as I understood the explanations, is an engineering trick to try and make it sound like there is more bass than the speaker is actually producing, but since I'm not much of a sound engineer, maybe I got it wrong. But the F15 certainly shook the house if I turnded it up much beyond 35-40%. At church I have it at about 65 % and it rattles a few windows and makes itself felt.
John

magnaton

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 3:27 pm

John, yes your explanation sounds correct. A sealed enclosure is more efficient since the air is trapped and the pressure will aide in returning the driver back out. A port allows the air to escape so the driver can actually move further in & out supporting your "creating more bass statement". Subs with passive radiators, like the Deftech and Paradigm models, are somewhere in between with a flexible enclosure. According to Rhytmik, the Servo design is efficient to begin with so in theory should work the same for both a port or sealed cabinet. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I was attracted to the FVX12 model since it comes with a tuning plug to configure for a 1 or 2 port setup. After further reading, it seems that they are recommending sealed cabinets if the primary use it music vs ported for home theatre. However their definition for the ported cabinets high output at low frequencies seems to qualify them for VPO use.

Danny B.

nrorganist

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 3:58 pm

Danny,

Yes, to get the most musically accurate sounds from organ samples, my preference for the F12 was to get a sealed enclosure. Since my Hauptwerk system is strictly residential (max room volume ~12,000 cu ft or ~340 cu meters), highest sound output was not as much of a need for me.

It may have been overly simplistic and naively trusting, but prior to ordering, I remember reviewing all of the Rythmik subwoofer's spec pages for their frequency response graphs. Back in 2016, of all the Rythmik subwoofers, the F12 had the flatest low frequency going down 3 dB to the lowest frequency, 14 Hz. Fortunately, testing with 32 ft rank samples proved out the frequency response specs.

In terms of power consumption, last Spring, I monitored the F12 with a watt meter while playing the loudest that I could stand. The Rythmik internal 370 watt amplifier never exceeded 90 watts consumption at the wall plug. The sealed enclosure seems to be quite power efficient.

Mark

Return to Amplification