It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 pm

Yamaha monitors experience?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Alexander_K

Yamaha monitors experience?

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 4:36 am

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to chose between Yamaha HS7+HS8S and Presonus Eris E8+T10.
I've found in the forum positive opinions about Presonus and would be glad to have an advice regarding Yamaha HS7 monitors with HS8S subwoofers, which are some more expensive.

Presonus:
Eris E8 35 Hz - 22 kHz, Temblor T10 20Hz – 200Hz
Yamaha:
HS7 43 Hz - 30 kHz, HS8S 22 Hz - 150 Hz

Does anyone have an experience with Yamaha and how these sound with Hauptwerk?
Cogito ergo sum.

matbruce

Re: Yamaha monitors experience?

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 8:26 am

Hello,
I'm using Yamaha HS8 with HS8S sub for my setup.
They're some of the best monitors to be had for the price.
No problems in the 5 years i've been using them.
Recently added some Adam T5V monitors as the rear speakers in a surround setup, which are also excellent.
No experience with Presonus monitors, so can't really comment.

magnaton

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:43 am

I haven't heard the Yamaha monitors with Hauptwerk. Regarding the subwoofer, I compared specs and the Temblor 10 wins. More power and forward facing driver. I auditioned a Temblor on my Hauptwerk rig for about a month it sounded great. To fill my space I would have needed 2 of them. So instead of 2 that only reach 20Hz (-2db) I'm putting the investment into 1 bigger sub that is actually spec'd to perform in the 16hhz range. If you like the HS8s, go with them but you don't have keep your subwoofer in the same brand family.

Danny B.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Alexander_K

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 4:17 am

Thank you very much for your replies.

I decided to take Presonus and ordered Eris 5 XT with Temblor T10. They are expected to arrive in about two weeks.
When hearing Eris 5 XT and Eris 8 XT in the shop, my impression was that 5 XT produced more clear sound than 8 XT.

Kind regards,
Alexander.
Cogito ergo sum.

josq

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 5:16 am

A review of the PreSonus E5 XT with a lot of measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... iew.13436/

Remarkable quote:

The boosted lows and highs though seems to have been aimed at selling the speaker in a showroom. It does impress at first. And especially so if you don't compare it to another speaker, level matched. When you do that though, the shortcomings of the E5 XT come to surface with uneven tonality and tons of distortion from its bass driver.

Alexander_K

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 12:42 pm

josq wrote:A review of the PreSonus E5 XT with a lot of measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... iew.13436/

Remarkable quote:

The boosted lows and highs though seems to have been aimed at selling the speaker in a showroom. It does impress at first. And especially so if you don't compare it to another speaker, level matched. When you do that though, the shortcomings of the E5 XT come to surface with uneven tonality and tons of distortion from its bass driver.

Thanks, this is very interesting review.
Presonus Eris monitors have mid-frequency and high-frequency acoustic tuning - I hope I can use it to equalise the sound. I also plan to split the low frequencies to the subwoofers.
Another reason I chose E5 XT was because I plan to use them in a relatively small room (about 11 sq.m), and the seller actually recommended not to buy 8" speakers for a such case.

Kind regards,
Alexander.
Cogito ergo sum.

Return to Amplification