It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

Routing stop noises to an audio channel

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jwillans

Routing stop noises to an audio channel

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:27 am

Apologies for being lazy - but I'm eager to start playing my upgraded HW6 setup and I have what I suspect is a simple question regarding the new audio routing. I have a channel that is purely reserved for stop change noises, currently all audio is routed to this channel, how do I route only the stop noises? If this is noted complex than a few sentences, then happy to go and read the manual!

mdyde

Re: Routing stop noises to an audio channel

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:40 am

Hello James,

[Topic moved here.]

In the main Hauptwerk user guide's routing sections, 'Example 6: multi-channel audio with 24 (or more) speakers configured as stereo pairs in 3 groups of 4 pairs each, with different organ divisions routed to different groups, optionally plus a sub-woofer, optionally with an additional pair of ‘rear’ speakers for surround-sound, optionally with an additional pair of speakers as an ‘aux reverb mix’ with added reverb (which can be bypassed, or its wetness adjusted, on a per-organ basis)' (pages 216-221 in the current v6.0.1 version) gives an example of routing different divisions to different groups. (If you only want to use a single stereo pair of speakers for each division, then you would only want one mixer bus, i.e. speaker pair, in each of your groups/divisions).

Iain Stinson also made a tutorial here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17916

For a comparison between v6's and v4's routing, you might perhaps also find this helpful:

mdyde wrote:[Edited to update it for v6]

v6's underlying routing architecture is exactly the same as v4's -- the screens have just been renamed slightly (and they can also now do a lot more that v4 couldn't, and quicker, and all in real-time, and with visual feed-back).

For example:

- v4: 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen is now:
- v6: 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen.

- v4 'primary audio outputs' on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen are now the:
- v6 'primary mixer buses' on the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen.

- v4 'aux mix-down outputs' on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen are now the:
- v6 'master mix buses' on the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen.

- v4: 'General settings | Audio output groups' screen is now:
- v6: 'General settings | Audio mixer bus groups' screen.

- v4: ranks were routed to audio output groups using the ''Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank ... screen.
- v6: ranks are routed to audio mixer bus groups using 'Organ settings | Rank routing …' screen.

Hence if you like, in v6 you can just imagine you're using v4, and use the differently-named screens above in the same way that you would use them in v4. I.e.:

- Set up some primary buses on the mixer for your speaker pairs ('General settings | Audio mixer' screen).
- Put those buses into groups as desired ('General settings | Audio mixer bus groups' screen).
- Route ranks to the desired groups ('Organ settings | Rank routing …' screen).

[For v4-type audio routing, just ignore the additional new 'audio output perspectives' on the voicing/panning and rank routing screens, since they're intended for surround/3D sound. You can also just ignore 'mixer presets' 2-7 if you want all organs to use the same audio groups, as would have been necessary in v4.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 11:47 am

You will have assigned ranks to groups in the rank assignment screen. Have your a separate group which connects to only the audio output you want to use for the noises? If you have ensure that only the noises connect to that group.

Each rank has four output perspectives (1 to 4). By default HW sets the output level for perspective 1 to 100% and to zero for the other outputs (2 to 4). You may find that ranks other than the noises have included the noise group in one of their four outputs and the level set to greater than zero for that output perspective.

The HW manual is fine, but you may find my tutorials on https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/ of some help.

Iain

jwillans

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks Martin and Iain. I'll plan to spend sometime properly understanding the routing approach. It seems very powerful and I'd like to understand it comprehensively. Your tutorial documents look very useful in this respect Iain, thanks for putting these together.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 4:37 am

Thanks, James.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dcaton

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 10:05 pm

jwillans wrote:I have a channel that is purely reserved for stop change noises

Just out of curiosity, why? So you can suppress the noises, or route them through speakers specifically located for this purpose, or...

jwillans

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 8:11 am

dcaton wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why? So you can suppress the noises, or route them through speakers specifically located for this purpose, or...

The former would be best realised by not loading the ranks. My touchscreens have built in speakers which are not audiophile quality but very suitable for stop noises.

magnaton

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 10:44 am

dcaton wrote:

In a couple of church installs I'm involved in, the main organ speakers are far away from the console. So a couple of inexpensive speakers are placed in the console so these noises emit "from the console" ever improving the realism since it incorporates touch screens in the stop jambs.

Danny B.

dcaton

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 pm

jwillans wrote:My touchscreens have built in speakers which are not audiophile quality but very suitable for stop noises.

That takes realism to a whole new level. Thanks for the explanation. I have a drawknob console so no real need for the simulated sounds. But now you've got me thinking...

Could route the blower sounds through a speaker in the bedroom, which happens to be next to the converted garage where my organ is. Not sure my wife would approve though.

Return to Amplification