It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am

Switching from multichannel to headphones

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

JmG

Switching from multichannel to headphones

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 am

Hello,
On the way of defining my new console, I’m have a question about switching from multichannel to headphones. I’m using a Motu AO24 with 16 outputs: 8 for front speakers, 4 for rear, 2 for subwoofer and 2 for headphones.
Only using routing and no mixer in AO24. For now when I want to use only headphone I use the routing in the Motu Pro Audio Control for cutting the loudspeakers channels. I’m wondering if it is possible to achieve the same result using a another mixer preset in Hauptwerk with just one or two midi button command… One preset for multichannel and one just for headphones. The option of cutting the power for the speakers is not healthy for them !

Jean-Marie.

mdyde

Re: Switching from multichannel to headphones

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:05 am

Hello Jean-Marie,

It isn't currently possible to change Hauptwerk's mixer preset from MIDI pistons, I'm afraid although we do have an enhancement request logged for that. I've also logged as an enhancement request that you'd appreciate a simple means to mute/unmute groups of mixer buses via MIDI pistons for switching between speakers and headphones.

You could currently change the mixer preset using the computer mouse/keyboard (e.g. via the 'Audio mixer, routing and voicing/panning settings' large control panel.) However, be aware that the routing of organs' ranks to bus group numbers is not part of a mixer preset, so you would need to make sure that both of your mixer presets had those particular bus group numbers configured to contain appropriately-routed buses.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:32 am

I use a separate HW audio output for my headphones and use an alternative routing configuration in my Motu AO24 which only sends output to the headphone preamp. I can change the profile from the front panel of the audio interface and so can switch between all outputs being routed by the audio interface to output units or to only the head phone channel being connected to the outside world. I did the same with my previous Focusrite interface.

Whilst not as convenient as being able to do this whilst sitting at the console, it is very straight forward in operation.

It would be a nice feature to add to HW to support this but adding the ability to specify parts of the audio network to mute could increase the complexity of the interface to multichannel audio subsystem.

Iain

JmG

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 am

Thank you Martin and Iain for the answers.
@Iain , I've seen your answer to a another post with changing profile from the front panel of the Motu. But the front panel must be very accessible and readable ! Mine actually is located behind the music rest ! and I was thinking of putting it below the keyboard just over the swell pedal boxes for a better readability but the accessibility is not best ! I will try switching between two mixer preset...

Jean-Marie

Romanos

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 8:56 am

In my case, I have a multichannel setup but I've also always had a stereo mix down pointed to two headphone outs; one went to my sub and the other to a pair of headphones. If your interface can handle this (in my case, the Saffire Pro 40 has its own routing software which I can control separately from HW) it is an excellent and convenient way to go. My headphones are always at the ready producing sound irrespective of whether or not I have my speakers turned on. This way there's no changing setups or loading an alternate configuration.

engrssc

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 11:41 am

You can extend the headphone (3.5 mm) audio port along with a USB connector and mount it under the key desk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-USB-3-5mm-1-8-Auxiliary-Flush-Mount-Extension-Panel-for-Car-Boat-Dashboard/282086329758?hash=item41ada7cd9e:g:S-YAAOSwWGlZ2Rln

Rgds,
Ed

JmG

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm

@ engrssc: thank you for the answer , but the problem is not with the headphones, the problem is muting the loudspeakers !
@ Romanos: with the motu and using a page in a web browser there is the ability for modifying routing on the fly, and it's the way I do, I was just looking for something more simple. In the Johannus Sweelink 10 (1997 !) the headphone jack had a wire to the five ampli channels for muting them. As I have 5 pair of Persons Eris 3.5 and 6 Eris 5 there is no direct possibility for muting them. Yes it is possible to make an interface between the 24 outputs of the Motu and the loudspeakers for grounding the inputs, but it's a lot of works and money for mounting cleanly the 24 XLR base connector !

engrssc

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm

MOTU has available a free app (MOTU AVB Discovery):‬

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/motu-avb-discovery/id892558414

that will access the 24Ao functions including the 40 channel internal mixer's mute function. With the 24Ao connected to a network wi-fi router, you can use such as an iPhone or iPad for this control.

The MOTU AVB Discovery from MOTU, Inc. finds all MOTU AVB Devices on your WiFi network, whether they are connected via ethernet or a computer with Thunderbolt or USB.

Tap a MOTU AVB device in the list to open the MOTU AVB Control Panel, giving you access to all the device's settings.

MOTU AVB Discovery works in both portrait and landscape orientations. Designed with comfortably large controls, MOTU AVB Discovery can easily be used with only one hand by pressing the desired menu ch
oice and buttons with your thumb.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Amplification