It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

Requesting advice from experience regarding speakers

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

RaymondList

Requesting advice from experience regarding speakers

PostTue May 25, 2021 1:09 pm

All,
I have my Hauptwerk setup in a small roughly square room. I am currently using a stereo pair of Behringer B2031A speakers along with a Behringer sub, and have been very happy with this setup. I received an ad from Sweetwater which lists the PreSonus Eris speakers for $99.95 for a pair. I was thinking of getting these for rear channel surround sound. My question is that since these speakers are so very different from my current, would this be a good choice for a 'cheap' buy-in for surround sound? Should I instead spend the extra and get the Behringer B2030A speakers at 3 times the cost? Thoughts from those that have experience would be appreciated. (I have a MOTU Ultra-Lite Mk4 with more outputs than I'll ever need, so adding speakers is not an issue from that standpoint.)

Thanks all for your thoughts!
Regards,
Ray
Ray

josq

Re: Requesting advice from experience regarding speakers

PostTue May 25, 2021 1:22 pm

You can find a detailed review + measurement of the Presonus Eris E5 XT here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... iew.13436/

In theory, it is best to have all speakers of the same brand and make. Otherwise you might have a mismatch due to the specific characteristics of each type of speaker (for example, a tone sounding normal through the front speakers and bright through the rear speakers would not be desirable).

mnailor

PostTue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm

As long as you aren't putting different types of speakers in the same audio group, where the same rank would jump around with an audible change of timbre, it's fine.

I use (Adam) 4 A8X and 8 A3X as two front groups, and 4 cheaper T7V as my rear group for surround. They sound very different, but it works well.

magnaton

PostTue May 25, 2021 1:54 pm

Hello Ray

I too have the acclaimed 2031A monitors with MOTU interface. Getting another pair of 2031A monitors provides flexibility in case you later decide that you'd like to incorporate 2 stereo pairs in front vs having a set dedicated for surround.

Which Presonus Eris models do they list on sale? If its the Eirs 3.5 set I wouldn't recommend them as they are a bit undersized for surround. Remember the pedal division has surround ranks too, so its not just ambient, reflective sound akin to a home theatre setup. The two surround sets I own give you a control panel with sliders (faders) to adjust the volume by organ division to the front and rear channels. For my setup, I simply lowered the volume for the pedal division in the rear speakers. I actually lowered it quite a bit even though they have 8" bass drivers and can handle some bass. During a MIDI playback when I first set them up, I noticed the bass drivers of the surround speakers were really oscillating hard for a sustained pedal note which prompted me to make the adjustment.

For my surround sound speakers, I'm using the Behringer 2031P (passive) models which are basically identical to the "A" models just no amplifier. I bought these used in mint condition and the price was too good to pass up plus I got an aesthetic bonus of having all matching speakers. 8)

As of this writing, the Behringer 2031As are on back order from all vendors. You'll have to find a used pair.

Finally if indeed you are only looking for some ambient surround ranks at minimal cost, there are 2 forum members that have given the Polk audio TSi100 and TSi200 speakers high marks for Hauptwerk surround sound implementation. I personally haven't heard them but plan to someday. You'll need to supply an amplifier for them.
https://tinyurl.com/yp92ykj7

Danny B.

Return to Amplification