It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

Pro audio with Hauptwerk

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

magnaton

Pro audio with Hauptwerk

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 11:02 pm

Recently I had the opportunity to transport my converted Schober Recital model to a couple of venues to be used for "Recitals" :). The first was for an our local AGO Chapter. The original plan was for an outside event. We found a small park downtown and using a barrage of speakers would create an outdoor acoustic cathedral if you will. Mother Nature had other plans so we moved the program, keeping the original audio design, to a nearby school gym. The second recital also took place in a school gym. This one had acoustic panels very high up the walls which cut the reverb down to maybe 1.5 seconds. For both gigs I resorted to pro audio powered stage monitors. I'm not a fan of using these for HW since they color the sound too much. However they do solve lots of logistical problems. Setting up a temporary Hauptwerk rig is met with similar challenges stage bands and club musicians face when bringing in their own sound equipment to a venue. It's too bad they don't have a stage monitor with the fidelity and flat response of a studio monitor . . . hum :? .

Well I think I found something, the QSC K10 and CP8 series of powered speakers! I have done several remote Hauptwerk 'gigs' where I have to setup either a single keyboard or a full console. I've tried Yamaha, Yorkville, Peavey (yuk!), Rockville (worse!), JBL, and Mackie. The results were all the same . . bad. For these recent two recitals I went with QSC equipment and was pleasantly surprised. In fact for the this last one, the compliment was:
8 QSC K10s,
2 QSC CP8s,
1 QSC KS112 sub,
1 Rythmik audio FV15HP.

The K10s have an onboard DSP tied to EQ presets as well as a parametric EQ. My personal HW setup consists mainly of Behringer 2031As. I used it as my sound reference point working a bit with the QSC DSP functions but mainly the MOTU's built in EQ to bring them up to a respectable 'studio monitor' sound. The Schober console and the whole QSC rig with subs was setup in my garage. So, with identical organs and registrations loaded on each, I got a work out running back & forth between garage and studio (2 different levels) for a true A/B comparison. Ah, what us sound geeks go through to achieve convincing audio! The result, I'm happy to report, is I got it to a studio quality level of about 91%. For some ranks I feel I was right at 100%.

The second recital was given by a young, Julliard hopeful, whiz kid. He has a nice Hauptwerk system at home and is very astute with the rank voicing tools He has a keen ear of what ranks should sound like individually and in an ensemble. We set this 10.2 audio channel on the stage in the gym a few days before the recital with all speakers in the final concert position. Using the Hauptwerk voicing tools, he fine tuned the sound even closer to the proverbial 100% golden audio mark. I have to admit I don't think 20 channels of studio monitors would have sounded that much different, especially to the audience! I have to give kudos to this QSC equipment as did a couple of other organist who were in attendance. I believe a contributing factor is the treble driver isn't a horn or placed in a conical shaped enclosure.

The sample sets were played back in stereo due to some L & R voicing tweaks done on many notes. I keep reminding myself that this is a temp setup and we need to have a big sound that isn't complicated.
Here the routing design:

Pedal division -
Right - K10 + KS112 sub (Line out of K10 to LFE input of sub, cut off frequencies adjusted accordingly)
Left - K10 + Rythmik Audio sub (Line out of K10 to LFE input of sub, cut off frequencies adjusted accordingly)

Main organ ranks - (1 group with HW default algorithm)
3 stereo pairs of K10s

En Chamade and other select solo voices -
1 pair of CP8s (highest speaker elevation)

All L&R stereo pairs were respectively left and right of the console. I received many compliments on the over all sound. The star was the F15 Rythmik Audio sub that aptly conjured up frequencies in the teens when needed. I had couple inquires after the recital about how that was achieved. Sample sets used were Friesach & Bellevue Casavant.

I wanted to share this experience with the forum. When the need arises for a 'Hauptwerk to go' solution, don't hesitate to consider these QSC powered speakers! Here is a shot of the final setup on the move in day:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rbYMNXKGBsxgBp_S56G54fpG2UBf4i-1/view?usp=sharing

Danny B.

engrssc

Re: Pro audio with Hauptwerk

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 1:19 am

Congrats, good work. As always, it's all in the ears of the beholder. Voicing controls are seriously important. While the current version of HW is a great improvement over what was previously available, I'm hoping for more (improvements) in future versions,

Along those lines, some tutorials on the how to would be (essentially) welcome. Likewise a hardwired "device" to connect externally to these voicing controls would make real time adjustments much easier to deal with vs a mouse or even a touch screen. Altho a large touch screen devoted to voicing schemes on a rank by rank basis?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 3:37 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Frank_VTPO

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 9:28 am

I can confirm that the QSC K 8.2 is a reasonable speaker model, if you need a lot power with a reasonable (but not perfectly) flat frequency curve. These speakers offer digital signal processing (DSP) and I use ten of them in the "Monitor" pre-set, bus have switched the high-shelf filters to -3 dB for frequencies at 8 kHz and above.
I have installed four front pairs and one rear pair in an adio studio and needed to mount two pairs approx. five meters above the ground. So, it was essential that I chose speakers suitable for permanent mounting.
The QSC K 8.2 and K 10.2 are basically PA equipment with better frequency reproduction. However, other than studio monitors they do hard with silent sounds (they do not fade-out smoothly, but retain some noise). The decision to install them was mainly based on their high max. volume (which I needed for this room) and their mounting options. For at home I do recommend less output power with better frequency curve, i.e. very good studio monitors.

larason2

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 12:13 pm

Thanks for posting, I’m glad to hear that there are good pro audio options for Hauptwerk out there. I have had two Yorkville nx25’s for many years, and I have been very happy with them. I’m not sure my ear is sensitive enough to detect how flat the frequency response is, but it sounds “flat” enough for me. I only use them L and R for stereo audio however, and usually only fairly dry sets. I’m quite happy with them though, and have had compliments from many musicians visiting my house how good they sound. I usually only listen to them at fairly low volume however, never loud or maxed out.

Return to Amplification