It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

What connections for a PC towards an equalizer ?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Paradise

What connections for a PC towards an equalizer ?

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 9:33 am

Hello !

i am looking for an virtual equalizer, for a Windows Seven, between Hauptwerk and my amplifier, I am thinking about the Behringer FB1502HD : https://www.thomann.de/fr/behringer_fbq ... ph_pro.htm.

But the main problem is : the connections ! :roll:

Equalizer Input/ouput : Image

My PC output is a classical small Jack stereo :mrgreen: , and my amplification system is a 3.1 system : https://www.zupimages.net/up/21/12/iuqh.jpg,
which owns two cinch L/R input.

So I need connections from the PC to the equalizer, and next other connections from the equalizer to my 3.1 system, is is possible ??

What would be the more simple solution ?

Thank you :wink: !

larason2

Re: What connections for a PC towards an equalizer ?

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 9:51 am

It’s hard to tell from the image alone, but it probably is possible. You need a cable that has a 1/8” mini plug on one side and either (one or two?) TRS or two 1/4 inch plugs on the other side. For the amplifier, whatever input it currently has, then (1/2) TRS or 2 1/4 inch plugs as before. However, I’m sure there’s an easier way. Wouldn’t you be able to install reaper on your system? I believe it has an equalizer built in, and many have fed Hauptwerk’s sound into Reaper starting at Hauptwerk IV.

Paradise

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 am

Thank you for your answer, you are right, if a virtual equalizer in the PC would be much more simple ! :)

But the equalization is not the same in the headphones and in the amplified system.

In the headphones the sound is good, not in the speakers, and I don't want to change the sound of the headphones that I use most of the time.

On a complete mixer, ouput/Input for Aux often use cinch connections.
For the PC, I could too install a sound card more complete about in and outputs.

But anyway, the connection is a problem especially cause of the cinch input of my 3.1 system.

If I use the equalizer Jack ouputs, I know that Jack/cinch converters cables exist.

A TRS cable is a stereo Jack cable isn't it ?

I must think about all of that again... :)

larason2

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 8:48 am

Ah yes, sorry. I meant XLR, not TRS. XLR is commonly used for microphones, and it appears to be the port on the equalizer you are considering. I must have been half asleep! I’m not very familiar with Reaper, but you should be able to have different equalizer profiles that you can load when using headphones vs. speakers.

larason2

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 11:55 am

Also, there are specific equalizer apps that some use with Hauptwerk, I don’t remember the name of any right now, but some people swear by them. They have a microphone and do the equalization automatically. That might be something you are interested in. They have different profiles for headphones vs. speakers.

Paradise

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 2:08 pm

Thank you very much ! Regards.

Return to Amplification