It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

Remapping Front/Rear perspective between Left/Right speakers

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

abaymajr

Remapping Front/Rear perspective between Left/Right speakers

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 9:10 am

My Roland C380 console has two of auxiliary L/R inputs only, which are amplified to four speakers (two internal and two external ones). Trying to mitigate some apparent phase problems between the Front and Rear channels of the St.-Michel-en-Thiérache Boizard sampleset, I set the Front L/R channels to sound exclusively on the Left speakers, and the Rear L/R channels to sound on the Right speakers. In fact, it doesn't entirely solve the problem, but it lessens it a little.

Going further in this experimentation, I set the Front channels no longer exclusively for the Left speakers, but with a -50% balance, and the Rear channels for the Right speakers with a +50% balance. The result was something surprising, at least to me. Although it lost some of the stereo separation, this distribution added a very interesting physical spatiality between the Front and Rear channels, and with the same and only two amplification channels. It would be like listening to the organ from a slightly tilted perspective, with one ear more towards the back of the acoustic room and the other more towards the organ, without losing much of the lateral mapping. I don't know if anyone else has done this experiment before, but I found it interesting enough to share and get some feedback about it. Of course, I'm not saying that the result was spectacular, let alone this would be a replacement for exclusive speakers for the Rear channels. But it was an interesting spatial gain over hearing the four Front and Rear channels mixed evenly and flat across two speakers.

Return to Amplification