It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

TRS to Phoenix-type 3-pin cables

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

andersonxt

TRS to Phoenix-type 3-pin cables

PostSun Feb 13, 2022 4:16 pm

I need to replace the 4 cables provided by my console builder to connect my audio device (Focusrite 18i20) with a 4-channel amp (Crown CT4150), which needs 3-pin Phoenix-type cable ends. I'm having trouble finding these online. I'd rather not try to strip one end of TRS to TRS cables. Suggestions on how to acquire? (1.5-ft would be long enough.)

Thanks.

Bonanches

Re: TRS to Phoenix-type 3-pin cables

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 2:17 am

Hi,
There are Phoenix connectors for sale on eBay.
Regards
Julian

jkinkennon

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 10:50 am

Check this link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ix_to.html
OR -- look for the same part on Amazon.com.

andersonxt

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 1:47 pm

Perhaps most would just get a good TRS to TRS cable and strip one end, but the amp's user guide has a "do-not-attempt-this-at-home" warning about wiring. I don't want to fry anything.

I did find a TRS to stripped wire cable on eBay,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353255077773
made by Philmore.
http://lkgind.com/CatalogDetail/33250

I don't know this manufacturer and I was hoping for something much shorter. $24 for 4 with free shipping seems pretty cheap, and one of the reviews is not encouraging.

The user guide also warns that Class 2 wiring is required. I'm not sure what that implies.

More comments? Hauptwerk is hard enough. This shouldn't be!

jkinkennon

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 6:31 pm

For low voltage wiring stick with stranded shielded wiring like the 6' cables you found. It doesn't hurt at all to look up class 2 wiring, but you aren't going to run into compliance issues unless you are doing a permanent installation in a commercial building. You would want to use the appropriate plenum rated cable jacket if you are running permanent wiring in walls or the ceiling even at home. I was surprised to see this in the input wiring section when there is a greater likelihood of wiring errors on the speaker cabling.

EDIT: I neglected to mention that I suspect this model of Crown amp is marketed more to A/V contractors who would think nothing of keeping extra crimp tools and connector styles on hand. Certainly not what I would pick for consumer use.

Return to Amplification