It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 am

Simple multi-channel following Iain Stinson's guidelines

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

peterorg

Simple multi-channel following Iain Stinson's guidelines

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 12:56 pm

I am trying to configure Hauptwerk 6 to play through one stereo pair of speakers plus a single sub woofer. I have followed Iain Stinson’s very detailed guidelines using the example:

https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/hw5-t ... irs-v1.pdf

although the “second pair” will be my sub woofer.

The setup has gone well following his instructions but I now have a problem and I am no doubt doing something silly.
I have reached section 12 and am looking at the “Rank Routing to Audio Mixer (Primary) Bus Groups (for multi-channel output)" panel.

I select the required ranks on the left hand side which highlight in blue and then set the various properties on the right hand side of the panel. However, when I click OK and then go back in to look at the “Rank Routing to Audio Mixer (Primary) Bus Groups (for multi-channel output) panel, none of the ranks I have selected are highlighted in any way to show they have been selected.

So the question is: when I select the ranks (clicking to highlight), how do I then execute this selection to make them stay selected (and indicate as such)?

Or am I missing something altogether?

Very many thanks,

Peter

mnailor

Re: Simple multi-channel following Iain Stinson's guidelines

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:38 pm

Once you click ok, you've saved and dismissed that window. I don't know any application that would remember what items you had selected when opened again later. Selection is temporary for doing an action on those items, such as changing some settings. Don't press ok until you've set up all the ranks the way you want.

peterorg

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:41 pm

Many thanks for that information and it makes sense to me now.

I really appreciate your help.

Peter

mdyde

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:54 pm

Hello Peter,

As an aside, are you sure you want to route ranks separately to your sub-woofer? If you were to route ranks solely through it (with no full-range speakers attached to it) then you would lose the higher frequencies for those ranks. Almost all ranks, even deep Pedal division ranks, have at least some higher frequencies, without which they could risk sounding muffled.

Usually people instead simply send a mix of *all* of the pipework to the sub-woofer, e.g. via one of the 'master mix' buses on Hauptwerk's Audio Mixer screen, whilst simultaneously routing the ranks to full-range speakers. The sub-woofers built-in cross-over would then just ignore the frequencies it can't reproduce.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

peterorg

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Hi Martin,
Very many thanks for passing on your comments. The sub woofer is new here and I am looking at the best way to connect it so I will certainly take your comments on board. There is much to read and take in from the excellent Hauptwerk manual and Iain’s guide and I thank you both for these. I shall enjoy experimenting to get the best results.
Kind regards,
Peter

mdyde

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 4:09 am

Thanks, Peter. You're very welcome.

I understand that most sub-woofers also have full-range pass-through stereo connections on them, so you may even be able simply to connect your main stereo speakers to those, then feed the sub-woofer directly (and thus your main stereo speakers indirectly) from the main stereo output from Hauptwerk (master mix bus 1 on the Audio Mixer), thereby avoiding the need to configure anything at all within Hauptwerk, and requiring no more than the a single stereo output from Hauptwerk in total.
Best regards, Martin.

peterorg

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 3:39 am

Hi Martin,

Very many thanks again for the information re the sub-woofer. This is now exactly what I have done and I am very pleased with the results!

However, all was not wasted going through the multi-channel setup as, now I have finally been able to move the organ to a bigger room, I have space to add another pair of speakers as well as the sub-woofer. I'm looking forward to even better sounds in the near future with the wonderful Hauptwerk.

Kind regards,

Peter

mdyde

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 3:55 am

Thanks again, Peter. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 4:27 am

This set up was developed as a tutorial to help another HW user set up a system with front, rear and a subwoofer. I hope it has been helpful/instructive.

For that configuration the subwoofer had an output pair which transmitted all the input received on to another stereo set of (powered) speakers. The front channel then received all of the front signals (and sounded accordingly) and the sub woofer only played the low frequencies,.

"The subwoofer is connected in-line with the speakers we are using for the Front Group. (This means that only low frequency audio output from the ranks assigned to the Front Group will sound through the subwoofer.) "

As Martin points out, for a stereo system with a sub, it would be simpler to use only the stereo output from HW and connect the stereo output from the computer's audio output device to the sub and the stereo output from the sub to the main speaker pairs. Even if the sub did not have the full audio output (which is essentially a pass through signal), then the default pre configured HW audio arrangements support a stereo output and a sub woofer output.

Iain

Return to Amplification