It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:20 am

Speaker Help using Focusrite Audio Interface

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

msewe001

Speaker Help using Focusrite Audio Interface

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 pm

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 that is connected to my computer. I am not very familiar with all the options on audio and setting up that side of things and currently just have cheap computer speakers hooked up to it! Anyone have any advice on what equipment I can hook up to my Focusrite and what speakers I should get? Just trying to understand how to set that piece up better than I currently have without having to spend thousands. Any advice welcome. Thank you!

mnailor

Re: Speaker Help using Focusrite Audio Interface

PostWed Dec 28, 2022 10:31 pm

From the specs, you can attach up to 8 line level outputs to amplifiers or to powered studio monitors (speaker with built-in amp). That gives you 4 stereo pairs of speakers, or 3 stereo pairs and a subwoofer if the speakers don't have enough low bass range for an organ, as they usually don't.

Line outs 1 - 4 on the back can be sent to 4 balanced amp inputs or powered speakers using four 1/4" TRS cables (amp end connectors either XLR or TRS), or to unbalanced amp inputs using 1/4" TS cables (amp end connectors usually RCA phono plug).

Headphone outs 5 - 8 on the front can be sent to 4 unbalanced amp inputs or powered speakers using two 1/4" TRS to RCA Y adapters to split the headphone signal into left and right. These signals will be lower level, so you'll be turning the amplifiers' gains up higher than the ones on line outs 1 - 4 to get equal volumes.

I'm ignoring the 2 channel SPDIF output because that's used more for hi-fi than live instruments.

I find powered ("active") studio monitors easier to work with, but people also use component amplifiers and unpowered speakers, except for the subwoofer which needs its own built-in amp.

Possible speaker examples: Adam Audio T8V, up to 4 pairs without subwoofer. Or T7V, up to 3 pairs with a 10" or 12" subwoofer. There are many brands and models. I have 4 models of speakers from Adam and KRK, and an SVS subwoofer. There are many discussions under Amplification in this forum.

If you're using surround organs, with front and rear mic perspectives, you'd place one pair of speakers behind you for the rear ranks and 1 - 3 pairs in front for the front ranks.

Please use google to look up the jargon I've used if you don't know it. You'll need a basic understanding before you spend money on this.

msewe001

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 10:23 am

Thanks for the information!! Looks like my version of this interface is a 1st gen so has slightly different output configuraitons. Looking at my interface, I am only see 2 outputs for Monitor Speakers, a couple headphone ports on the front, along with the SPDIF outputs.

larason2

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 10:29 am

Mark has a good reply. The Behringer 2031a's are often recommended. They are not the best speakers, but they are probably the cheapest you will get a decent sound out of for organ reproduction. I wouldn't get any monitors with a woofer smaller than 8." The good thing about Hauptwerk is you can buy modularly, maybe start with two Behringer 2031a's or two monitors of similar ability, and the cables to connect them.

Next, you can try a sub woofer. There are lots of good subs that have been recommended over the years, you can do a search on the forum. A lot of users use home theatre subs, and they appear to do quite well. I'd try to get something with at least a 12" woofer.

After that, you can get more speakers, and either add them behind as MNailor suggests, or have 2+ pairs on the front channel. Adding speakers behind gives more impression of spaciousness and immersion, whereas putting more speakers in front and routing pipes between the two+ monitors cuts down on intermodulation distortion, and lets you run the individual speakers at lower volume, where they behave more linearly, which also cuts down on distortion and noise.

Passive speakers (where you need the speakers and an amplifier) can be good, but it can be expensive to get a good amp along with the speakers. Cheap amps run hot and eventually die. Many users swear by this, however. I would recommend amps by Crown or QSC if you want to go this route. They are more expensive, but they have very good cooling.

Return to Amplification