It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 pm

Confused by 'Perspectives'

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Re: Confused by 'Perspectives'

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 2:19 pm

A "perspective" as used in HW5+ Rank Voicing and Rank Routing is one of four copies of the same rank samples, where each copy can have its own user voicing and routing, but they are all playing from the same samples. The user can ignore them if not specifically needed, since perspective 1 is the only one enabled by default. So perspective 1 is just a pass-through, and 2, 3, and 4 are options for advanced users.

A "perspective" as used by some sampleset producers is a stereo recording from one of several mic positions or directions in surround samplesets, such as Front and Rear, or Direct, Diffuse, Distant, and Rear, or a few other terms. Each speaking stop has a rank for each of these perspectives, with its own samples. These perspectives are sometimes also called "channels", although there's a pair of channels per perspective.

The two uses of the word have nothing to do with each other. Confusingly, each sampleset rank "perspective" can be copied to up to four HW rank "perspectives".

(I also have trouble reading the user guide because I can't remember long, italicized phrases as if they were references to objects -- I need a noun, or a noun with one or two adjectives, to remember what I'm reading about. It's thorough and well-written, but presents me with a learning difficulty I never knew I had before.)

RichardW

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 6:31 pm

mnailor wrote:(I also have trouble reading the user guide because I can't remember long, italicized phrases as if they were references to objects -- I need a noun, or a noun with one or two adjectives, to remember what I'm reading about. It's thorough and well-written, but presents me with a learning difficulty I never knew I had before.)

It's not just me then!

Even worse, if I forget something I find myself having to re-read fifty pages of the manual to refresh my memory! I think I am getting too old.
Richard

vpo-organist

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 3:52 am

RichardW wrote:It's not just me then!

Are you surprised? I suspect that 95% of users feel the same way.
In my multi-channel documentation, I have dealt with multi-channel and the basics of Hauptwerk on over 90 pages. The guide is free and I recommend anyone who has unanswered questions to take a look at it.
I have summarized the necessary knowledge in the chapter "The eight-point roadmap" on page seven.

I also address points that are not optimally solved in Hauptwerk. In particular, the fixed designations behind the perspectives (e.g. front1/main or front2/upper, see page eight) cause additional confusion.

On page six I have shown a conveyor belt to illustrate the audio path:
Rank > Perspective > Bus group or primary bus > Audio output.

You have to approach the topic step by step. If you only look at everything at once, you will lose the overview. I'll be honest - it took me years. I looked at it from time to time, didn't understand it and let it go.

vpo-organist

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 9:55 am

Here is a picture
The upper first row shows the audio path from a rank to sound reproduction for a stereo setup (labeled Front in the picture).
The second row is identical to the first row if the third row is omitted, except that an audio group is connected in between, which has no effect.
An audio group with more than one primary bus is used when more than two front speakers are used (labeled Front1 and Front2 in the picture).

RichardW

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 7:22 am

vpo-organist wrote:Are you surprised?

No, I am not surprised!

I have spent my working life in IT and I understand some of the problems. The first problem is that it is not possible to write any instruction manual that will suit everyone. If you write it in such a way that a beginner will understand it then an experienced user will be frustrated by the verbosity when all he wants to find is a particular detail. Similarly, if you just put together a reference manual then a less experienced person will probably not be able to join the dots.

The other issue is that Hauptwerk is a very complex program. Part of that is due to the complexity of pipe organs and all the possible differences between existing pipe organs. Then you multiply that up because people have differing audio requirements. Some are happy with headphones while others want to replicate a real pipe organ in a large space using multiples of speakers.

So, decisions have to be made and, unfortunately for me, Hauptwerk has not chosen my preferred route on many occasions. That is not to say there is anything wrong here just that my preferences are not the same.

I could list quite a number of alternative options but here is probably not the place.

EDIT: I just found some of what I think are your posts on a German forum. The comments there would seem to indicate that many people are having issues. The functionality looks to be OK but the interface is problematic to the extent that it may be putting off potential customers.
Richard

vpo-organist

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 5:20 pm

RichardW wrote: I just found some of what I think are your posts on a German forum.

I'm Wolfgang alias montre @ vpo-forum.de. Some people has resolved their problems with my multichannel documentation.

Unless there are specific problems with the sound card, I can probably solve all problems with multichannel when it comes to Hauptwerk configuration (I hope). If there is another use case that I don't know about, I will solve it with Martin Dyde's help.

My goal is to help every German user with the topic of multi-channel. I myself have struggled with it long enough. Many people have problems with English, which makes everything even more complicated. My English is not good either and I have to translate a lot with Deepl.com (that's the reason why some things may sound a bit strange ;-) ).
Last edited by vpo-organist on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vpo-organist

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 5:24 pm

The functionality looks to be OK but the interface is problematic to the extent that it may be putting off potential customers.

You'll see - at some point it will make a big ahaaa and you'll get it. Then suddenly everything is easy, really! I felt the same way. I didn't understand it for a long time and then, thanks to a German video by Tom Mayer, I understood half of it and then it took several small steps until I got it.

I think Tom created the video based on Jerry Martin's video, so a big thank you to Jerry Martin at this point!
Previous

Return to Amplification