It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

Swell pedal St. Anne*s Mosely

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Bjørnssp

Swell pedal St. Anne*s Mosely

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 3:25 pm

How do I encode the swell pedal in order for it to work with Hauptwerk ?

One method would be to change the amplitude by encoding the velocity of all the keys on manual 1 via the swell pedal, but is the Hauptwerk (free) version of St. Anne's Mosely velocity sensitive?

I have seen in the set-up that Hauptwerk can detect the swell pedal but how should the byte be encoded for Hauptwerk to see it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bjørn

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Swell pedal St. Anne*s Mosely

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Hello Bjørn,

Have you tried to detect your "physical" swell pedal? When St-Anne is loaded, right click on the left most expression pedal, select Auto-detect... then on your console fully open and fully close you swell pedal. If Hauptwerk can "read" the messages transmitted by your swell pedal, DONE button will turn on. Click DONE.

If you move the swell pedal, you should see it move on screen at the same time.

Hauptwerk is expecting a Control change (usually "volume (cc7)" or "expression (cc11) ). The more values/steps transmitted by your swell pedals, the more precise will be the opening and closing (values from 0 to 127).
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Bjørnssp

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 3:12 pm

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

I did not purchase an organ console but have made a home built system from scratch, I have been using 2 old keyboards (1975) and made a scanner based on an Arduino Due micro controller programmed to read the keyboards contacts and generate the appropriate midi codes and send them to Hauptwerk, which works fine.

I am in the process of making the swell pedal for my home built organ console and need to know how to encode my physical swell pedal into Midi in order for Hauptwerk to recognize the code and move the swell pedal in the virtual St. Anne's Moseley organ.

Best regards Bjørn

larason2

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 pm

There are some commercial swell pedal encoders such as these:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

https://beatbars.com/en/expression-to-midi.html

It also isn’t too hard to make your own using Arduino:

https://www.instructables.com/Send-and- ... h-Arduino/

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/38 ... sion-Pedal

John Kinkennon has posted a design for how to make a DIY expression pedal hardware that uses a 10k linear potentiometer that I have used and it worked great. There’s a forum post on this forum with a picture, but I don’t have the link handy.

Bjørnssp

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 pm

Thank you larason2 for links and to micdev for answers.

I have a question for micdev you mention in one line :

"Hauptwerk is expecting a Control change (usually "volume (cc7)" or "expression (cc11) )"

what do you mean by cc7 and cc11 ?

Best regards Bjørn

larason2

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 2:31 pm

For the Midi, send the control change byte for the first command (can be any channel, but preferably a channel that isn't carrying your keying or stop data), the volume byte for second byte, and the volume as a number 0 to 127 for the third byte.

Bjørnssp

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 12:12 pm

HI

Yes - thanks got the volume (Swell pedal) working now.

Does the swell pedal only work on keyboard 1 i.e. channel 1?

Anyone knows what the function of the second pedal (the right one) is for the St. Anne's Mosely organ and how it is addressed in midi?

Best regards Bjørn

Bjørnssp

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 1:04 pm

HI

Got the St. Anne's Moseley organs right pedal to work.

But I am a bit confused as to how these two pedal work, I have been trying to find a description of the St. Anne's Mosely organ but to no avail, if anyone knows a link to such a description it would be much appreciated.

Best regards Bjørn

OrganoPleno

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Bjørnssp wrote:But I am a bit confused as to how these two pedal work,

If you got the Swell Pedal to work by using Right Click and then moving the Pedal, so your Swell Pedal now controls the image of the Swell Pedal on the Screen, then you are on the right track. The function of this one is to control the Swell Shutters (effectively, the Volume) of just one division (Keyboard) of the Organ. Probably the upper Manual, if I recall correctly. This is independent of which Channel is used for the actual Midi message.

The other expression Pedal on the Organ is called "Crescendo". You can activate it in exactly the same way, either instead of your Swell Pedal function (which can always be re-assigned later) or using a different Expression Pedal in case you have two of them hooked up. Again, you don't need to worry about the actual Midi message or Midi channel used (as long as the two pedals, if you do use two, are not both sending the identical message).

The "Crescendo" function affects the entire Organ (all divisions), by adding Stops progressively as you depress the Pedal further. (You will hear them, but not see them on the display.) And progressively removing Stops as you raise the Pedal back up... leaving only your original Registration when you are done (those Stops already activated do not get removed).

Hoping this is helpful, and Enjoy your new Organ!

Bjørnssp

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi

Thanks "organpleno" for your intput, can now "exercise" the volume and crescendo pedals independently via midi. And they function as you describe.

I have been living without the use of these two pedals while playing the organ for a couple of years, getting the pedal case and electronics done and connected to the organ I suspect will make a noticeable difference. :-)

Best regards Bjørn

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)