It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

Pro or semi pro 61 key keyboards for Hauptwerk

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Bjørnssp

Pro or semi pro 61 key keyboards for Hauptwerk

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 10:52 am

I am trying to find a manufacturer of keyboards for my Hauptwerk organ. I have been using keyboards from a home built transistor organ from the 1970's. These keyboard keys are not weighted, made of plastic and fingers easily slip when playing. Also the gold plated contacts are showing signs of age. Hence I am looking for reasonably priced keyboards with weighted wooden keys with ivory and textured key surfaces that also have the feel of a simulated tracker mechanism as the optimal solution.

I am in doubt whether to look for multi contact keys, since usually one contact is sufficient.

I would appreciate to know what selection criteria other forum users have had for selecting keyboards and if you found what you were looking for. And of course how much you had to pay for the keyboards.

Best regards Bjørn

larason2

Re: Pro or semi pro 61 key keyboards for Hauptwerk

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 4:01 pm

Look up Pedamidikit. They use Schwindler keyboards as a base, which probably have the most realistic tracker touch simulation with magnets. I’m sure they would be able to put textured acrylic on the keys if you requested it. They can also surface the keys with any wood you request for extra.

Getting authentic ivory key tops is not easy these days, even if they are ethically sourced. Daffer has some ivory topped keyboards available, but they are not midified. Some US states will not allow any kind of Ivory to be imported, even with proof of ethical sourcing. Crossing borders is risky because of international laws against trafficking, and even if they have the right paperwork, they may still be confiscated. Given all this, it’s probably better just to get bone key tops, the properties are almost identical. Still very expensive though!

There are other makers. Fatar produces many different grades of keyboards, and Classic Midi Works sells a variety of keyboards with the higher end Fatars as a base, and many Hauptwerk users are very pleased with them.

Laukhauff used to make fine keyboards, but they are now out of business. Still, you can find some of them used. UHT still makes very fine keyboards, but they are among the most expensive. Both are wood core. Allen Organ’s home made keyboards are also very nice and wood core, but they don’t sell them directly. You can find them used however. They usually have smooth acrylic as a key surface. If you don’t like the smooth surface of any plastic keytop, it’s very economical to texture the plastic yourself using very fine grit sandpaper. I have some 600 grit that works perfectly for this.

Bjørnssp

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 1:55 pm

Thank you Larason2 for your answer.

Have looked up Pedamidikit, looks nice, as expected quality costs.

Your idea of using sandpaper just might solve the problem, thanks.

As I have made my own 32 note pedalboard I have often thought about how difficult it would be to make the keyboard and keys using my 3 d printer with PLA or PETG filament for keys. Since I have made my own Midi scanner for 4 keyboards and Pedals based on an Arduino Due it is a viable option. But I am worried about the mechanical stability of a home made keyboard. Has anyone in the group tried to make their own keyboards, if yes, what was your experience?

Best regards Bjørn

larason2

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 2:59 pm

Making a keyboard isn’t as easy as it appears. The function depends more on the woodworking. If you are handy with a Plane, or have someone that can joint and plane your workpieces, then it may be doable. But it’s a lot of work and requires more technical skills. Generally, once you’ve bought all the equipment to do it well, you could have bought some nice keyboards! Drew, who frequents here has done it, but he has a CNC machine, which is out of the realm of most DIYers.

The reason your contacts don’t work well is probably because they are phosphor bronze contacts, which are designed to work with 12v keying. Just add a 12v power supply, and resistors/transistors or a zener diode to protect the sensing circuit and you will be off to the races.

Bjørnssp

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 3:23 pm

Thanks Larason2 for your answer.

Best regards Bjørn

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)