It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:40 am

Problem with midi channels/keyboards

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

phjo

Problem with midi channels/keyboards

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 11:37 am

Hi,

I had a friend who is a professional cornett player who wanted to install and try out hauptwerk to produce good quality audio files from midi files (better than the instruments in finale for example...)

We installed together hauptwerk on his computer (a 2009 or so macbook pro), then the demo for Smecno (sonus paradisi) which is perfect for his needs, then we configured finale so as it plays scores through midi, using the VST plugin from hauptwerk.

One weird thing : without any configuration at all in hauptwerk, on this particular organ, channel 1 note on/off events plays the pedals, channel 2 the first keyboard (which is disabled on the demo), channel 3 the second (which is the only enabled...)

I tried to manually configure hauptwerk to route channel 1 events to the second keyboard (not using autodetect, as the computer is not connected to any midi hardware) and no matter what I did, channel 1 events always got detected as pedal notes (even if I tried to disable any input for the pedals and attributed channel 1 events to the second keyboard.)

As I coulnd't make hauptwerk do what I wanted, I finally decided to configure Finale to send channel 3 note on/off events, instead of channel 1 events...

Not a disaster of course, but out of curiosity, did I encounter a bug ? In hauptwerk free ? or more generally in hauptwerk configured to be used only with a sequencer ? in the Smecno demo set ?

phjo

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Problem with midi channels/keyboards

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Please see page 174 and 293 of the Hauptwerk 4.0.0 user guide. If you want to configure your channels please do not use the Sequencer MIDI in port, instead use the Console MIDI in port. The user guide explains more about this.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

phjo

Re: Problem with midi channels/keyboards

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks, Brett, for your answer.

phjo

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)