It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

(SOLVED) Glitching when opening GUI in Reaper

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Antal

(SOLVED) Glitching when opening GUI in Reaper

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 9:46 am

Hi there,

I've just started testing with Hauptwerk Free Edition to see if it's the product for my purpose.

I'm using the VST Link version in Reaper, but running into an issue.
Whenever I have Hauptwerk's GUI open/displayed while using it in Reaper I get severe audio glitching. The sort you get with buffer underrun issues. I'm using the program in windowed mode btw.
When I minimize the GUI to the taskbar so it's not visible anymore, the glitching disappears completely. So it seems to be something connected with displaying the GUI graphics.
I don't know if this is isolated to the Free Edition of Hauptwerk or if this is also the case in the Basic/Advanced Editions.

It's not an issue of badly optimised system as I'm a veteran of computer recording and system tweaking and have been using Reaper, PC's and this particular setup for many years without issue.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks in advance!

Here's my PC specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel i7 3770k, 16GB RAM
E-MU 1616M PCIe
Dual monitors running off an ATI Radeon HD 6440 and an (integrated) Intel HD 4000 graphics cards
Reaper 64-bit, latest version
Hauptwerk Free Edition, latest version
Tried the included St. Anne's and multiple free and demo sample sets
Last edited by Antal on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumblecake

Re: Glitching when opening GUI in Reaper

PostMon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 am

Hi Antal,

I noticed that you are using the built in graphics card. They usually operate on shared memory. Which monitor/graphics card do you use Hauptwerk on? If it is the built-in one I could imagine that having Hauptwerk open could cause extra bursts of memory access which would interfere with Hauptwerk trying to load samples from the same memory at the same time.

Maybe your graphics arrangement could be something you could play around a bit to see if you can resolve the glitches.

Best Regards

Mathis

Antal

PostWed Feb 10, 2016 10:42 am

Hmmm strange....

I have one monitor connected to the ATI card and the other to the integrated Intel HD4000. It makes no difference if I put the Hauptwerk window on one monitor or the other.
It definitely seems to be graphics related. I can even hear the crackling continuously when I resize the window with my mouse for instance :o
Never had this kind of problem with any other plugin or program.

I'll see if I can connect both monitors to the ATI card with a DVI>HDMI adapter and see if that helps.

mumblecake

PostWed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 am

Hi Antal,

If that's possible you could go as far as to disable the on-board graphics card in the BIOS. Updating graphics drivers is also an idea. You could also try to increase the buffer size in the audio options in Hauptwerk (I believe that is also possible for VST output). That would increase latency a bit but it would be worth a try to see if that makes things better.

Best Regards

Mathis

Antal

PostFri Feb 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Amazingly....that did the trick.
I got a DVI-D to HDMI adapter so I could connect my two monitors to the one ATI GPU and disabled the motherboard's integrated GPU.

Problem solved! Amazing that this had never been a problem before...

Thanks Mathis :)

mumblecake

Re: (SOLVED) Glitching when opening GUI in Reaper

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 am

Fantastic, great that you are finally up and running.

Also thanks for the update :)

Best regards

Mathis

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)