It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

Why so much channels?

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Rafael

Why so much channels?

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello, dear friends.
My Hauptwerk experience is limited to configure stereo setups for the free ed. And I figure out anything by addressing all keyboards (up to three) and pedalboard to channel 1. I'd like to understand the need and benefit of using further channels. Thanks in advance and kind regards.

mdyde

Re: Why so much channels?

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 5:02 am

Hello Rafael,

I assume you're referring to MIDI channels (as opposed to audio channels):

Some large organs (real and virtual) have more than three manuals; four is common on cathedral organs, and a few organs even have five.

However, then main reason that people need and use larger numbers of MIDI channels, and/or lots of MIDI ports, is that they have various additional MIDI controls such as stop switches, pistons, expression pedals and even LCD panels and MIDI sequencers. Those devices might be be wired into a single MIDI encoder/decoder (and so all appear to the computer as a single MIDI port, necessitating use of additional MIDI channels), or some or all of them might be connected via different MIDI ports.

[MIDI via traditional 5-pin DIN cables is a slow protocol, so it's usually advisable not to have too many MIDI controllers connected through a single MIDI port/cable. For example, using a separate MIDI port for expression pedals could help to avoid time-critical key-on/off being delayed from the keyboards, if connecting quite a few devices. Multi-port MIDI interfaces (such as the MOTU Microlite or Express 128: http://motu.com/products/midi/ ) are good for that. Direct MIDI-over-USB connections to devices can also help to avoid timing issues (although if you use several identical devices then you might risk the computer's operating system sometimes swapping them around internally, depending on the devices' driver). In my experience, multi-port MIDI interfaces are the most robust solution for connecting multiple devices to the computer.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Rafael

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks a lot Martin for putting me in the way. Now it's more clear for me.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 5:21 am

Thanks, Rafael. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)