It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:19 am

Hauptwerk silences Allen Vista sounds

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

AllenMDS16

Hauptwerk silences Allen Vista sounds

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 12:40 pm

I have an Allen MDS16 organ with a Vista expansion module attached. I had to modify the Vista power and audio output cables to interface with the stock MDS Expander connections built into the organ.

The organ and the Vista unit play well together. Hauptwerk 4 and the organ play well together (I can use Hauptwerk stops and Allen's native stops together). However, when I launch HW4 on my MacMini PC, access to the Vista sounds is blocked. When I shut down the computer, not just close Hauptwerk, the Vista sounds become available again.

My setup is simple. I run HW4 free version on a MacMini (Late 2009, Core2 DUO with 6GB ram; OSX 10.11.6, El Capitan). The MacMini outputs the HW audio from the headphone jack. I use an adapter to convert the mini phone jack to RCA connectors. The RCA connectors connect to two RCA Y-adapters, L&R. The two inputs into each Y-adapter are Hauptwerk audio and the Vista sound module. The Y-adapters output connects to the Allen MDS16 RCA inputs for the MDS Expander.

QUESTIONS
1. Does HW4 free version have a setting that blocks/unblocks other midi devices? If so, where is this option located in HW4?
2. Could the MacMini be blocking the second sound source?
Last edited by AllenMDS16 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larason2

Re: Hauptwerk silences Allen Vista sounds

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 1:02 pm

I don’t think the problem is Hauptwerk, I think the problem is that the vista also uses the midi out port on the organ. That means you can only use one at a time. Perhaps if you got a device that duplicates the midi output. However, then you would still have to find a way to wire the internal cable that supplies midi out to Vista outside of the organ.

AllenMDS16

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your input. You've made me start thinking about my cable arrangement. It is my understanding that Midi signals can be daisy chained via Midi Thru ports. I'm not near my organ right now, but believe I have Midi Thru ports on the Vista unit and the MDS16 organ. I will tinker, reroute some cables and report back.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 4:32 am

Hello Allen,

To add to larason2's reply:

I have no knowledge myself of the Allen Vista system, but in answer to a couple of points:

AllenMDS16 wrote:1. Does HW4 free version have a setting that blocks/unblocks other midi devices? If so, where is this option located in HW4?

No -- Hauptwerk never intentionally does anything that would block any other hardware or software. Many computer audio and MIDI interfaces only allow a single software application to use them at any given time, so whilst you're using Hauptwerk with any given audio or MIDI interface (port/device) enabled in it, you probably wouldn't be able to use that same audio or MIDI device simultaneously in any other software.

AllenMDS16 wrote: It is my understanding that Midi signals can be daisy chained via Midi Thru ports.

MIDI Thru ports only officially (according to the MIDI specification) allow devices to be chained on the MIDI *output* side from the computer, not the input side. You can't in general chain MIDI devices together for the purposes of merging their MIDI streams together to feed into the computer. E.g. see this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19389&p=145606
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)