It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 am

1 Computer for Hauptwerk, and 2. Free Edition Problems

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

gingercat

Re: Recent results, problems, options- and Thanks!

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 am

Bambi B wrote:I'm curious as to how many here use Hauptwerk with a MIDI keyboard(s), how many have MIDI pedalboards with MIDI keyboards, and how many used it as an extension of sounds to with a MIDI-capable organ like an Allen or Rodgers?

I'm under the impression most users have pedalboards, I don't think we've done a survey on that one yet. Once you've got Hauptwerk up and running, you wouldn't want to use it to extend Allen/Rodgers sounds, you'd want to replace them alltogether :D
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

imcg110

Re: 1 Computer for Hauptwerk, and 2. Free Edition Problems

PostSun Aug 30, 2009 6:04 am

Likewise, I added MIDI to a 1960s Rodgers 33E console. It feels like playing a real organ!! The quality of these old consoles is rarely replicated in modern electronic organs.
It was quite straightforward - just soldered ribbon cable onto the keying boards and fed them into MIDI boards from midiboutique, routed the swell potentiometers to the midi boards and hijacked the pistons and toe studs. Jordan at midiboutique was very helpful in configuring the boards to suit. I simply switched it on and it all worked first time!! (write down which midi channel/number you are wiring as you go along - it will be so helpful if you want to change configuration later on!) I have chosen to use touch screens rather then the theatre organ style stop tabs at present - I play classical sets 90% of the time and prefer it that way.

Bambi B

Hauptwerk is a bit closer- computer purchase !

PostThu Sep 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Mates,

I appreciate the replies and suggestions.

And thanks to those suggestions and a bit more research, Hauptwerk is a bit closer as I've purchased a computer that will be dedicated to Hauptwerk and my other recording projects. This is an HP Elite M9426f refurbished by HP:

# HP Pavilion Elite m9426f Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Desktop PC

# General Features:
# Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed w/CoA
# Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
# 2.4 GHz CPU Speed
# 8 GB DDR2 RAM (maximum)
# 640 GB SATA/300 (3 Gb/s) hard drive
# 16x DVD±RW DL drive with LightScribe Technology
# 15-in-1 memory card reader
# ATI Radeon HD3650 PCI Express graphics card
# Realtek ALC 888S integrated high definition audio, supports up to 8 audio channels
# 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express card
# Integrated 10/100/1000BASE-T networking interface
# Front HP Easy Backup button
# No modem

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... -R&cat=SYS

Researching, I think this computer new was something in the $1,100-1,200 range.

Eventually, I'll add a large second HD for the recordings, but at first I'll use a 320GB portable HD- snapped up in the Circuit City closing sale. There are certainly a pile of features - 15 media card readers, and many USB, Firewire and etc, connections, and the wireless network. I might try the wireless network, while setting up, but won't be connecting to the Internet. There won't be any virus scanning- I had trouble in the past with Norton nosing in at the worst times and always running in the background and sucking up computer resources.

If you're shopping, this firm is offering 3 quad core computers and the one for $350 has 8GB RAM. A poster on the audio forum I like bought the $350 one and is very pleased- commenting on the speed and that it is very quiet. I didn't buy the $350 version as it has 2GB RAM, shared video, and importantly- no operating system. When I added up what would be needed to bring it to my specification, it added up to over $800, so the $550 version all ready to go was the more attractive. The poster referring me to this already had the OS and video card.

Initially, I'll be running MIDI from a Yamaha S90 to the M-Audio 2496 PCI and using Free Edition while I decide on Basic or Advanced and of course which sample sets are the most attractive- the 1928 E.M. Skinner and a Silbermann would be nice,... I'm also looking into touch screens. I passed on the $200 Rodgers theatre organ which I thought to convert to MIDI ($450 to $900), but I really can't absorb too many new technologies at once- plus that Rodgers has one amplifier out and the Rodgers "Princess " pedals which I really don't like- I'll wait for an AGO-equipped console of some kind.

Again, thanks and I'm sure we'll talk again!

Cheers,

Bambi B

toplayer2

Re: 1 Computer for Hauptwerk, and 2. Free Edition Problems

PostFri Sep 11, 2009 7:15 am

Bambi,

Thanks for the lead on the Q6600 PC with 8GB for $550. Seems to be a good value. After you put it into action, would you please let us know how well it performs?

Joe
Previous

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)