It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

Glitches/RAM

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

rainworthgord

Glitches/RAM

PostThu Jun 23, 2011 2:49 am

Hi all, me again!

Since switching to v4 all went well to begin with, I've got both my keyboards set up for Great and Swell respectively, and I've set up a Pedal Bass to Swell as explained by Martin.

But over my last couple of playing sessions I've been hit by a couple of irritating glitches, such as very slow loading of the organ (nearly 15 minutes yesterday), and when it has loaded, slow and/or irregular speaking notes with a greater time lag on some than others, the occasional sticking note, and even on one occasion the disappearance of my cursor from the screen so that I couldn't exit and re-load without switching the computer off at the button (unable to enter the start menu to shut down without a cursor).

My laptop has the bare minimum 2Gb RAM, so would it cure these problems if I installed more RAM? Also, if I did, say, double my RAM up to 4Gb (assuming this is possible) would I then have to uninstall and re-install Hauptwerk, or would it just say 'thank you very much' and immediately proceed to behave in a more orderly fashion?

gerrit

Re: Glitches/RAM

PostThu Jun 23, 2011 3:47 am

If you are using the Free Edition, 2 Gb should be enough. Did you follow the performance tweaking guidelines on page 269 of the user guide? It seems to me that there are too many other processes running in the background. However, if you use this laptop also for other uses, it may not be very convenient to shut these processes down (like anti-virus or wifi software). And the older a computer gets, the slower it becomes of course. So, the best solution would probably be to buy a dedicated HW computer. But I guess this is not an option as you are using the Free Edition.
Gerrit Veldman

Free sheet music available at my website.

mdyde

PostThu Jun 23, 2011 5:58 am

Hello Gordon,

To add to Gerrit's reply, yes - it sounds as though you perhaps had some other applications or tasks running at the same time as Hauptwerk.

When you use Hauptwerk, make sure that no other programs are running and temporarily disconnect your laptop from the Internet and from any network/wireless connections (which should prevent any applications or Windows trying to install automatic updates in the background - a common source of audio glitches).

For reliable glitch-free audio we also strongly recommend having a semi-pro/pro audio interface with ASIO drivers, making sure that the latest drivers are installed for it, and making sure that you have the manufacturer-supplied ASIO driver for your audio interface selected as the audio device on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen in Hauptwerk. We list some tested audio interfaces in the prerequisites section in the user guide.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

rainworthgord

PostFri Jun 24, 2011 11:28 am

You're quite right Gerrit an extra computer is not an option (as my wife keeps saying, we are only poor pensioners z no need to get the violins out though). I"ve realised the problems only occur when I leave off for a while without closing the programme so maybe the remedy is in my own hands. Am I to assume, then, that bumping up the RAM wouldn't affect the performance?
Many thanks Gerrit and Martin for your helpful replies.

mdyde

PostFri Jun 24, 2011 11:35 am

Hello Gordon,

Am I to assume, then, that bumping up the RAM wouldn't affect the performance?

Since the Free Edition allows you to load a maximum of 1.5 GB of sample data into memory, installing more than 2 GB of RAM probably won't make much difference, especially if you're using Windows XP (which doesn't usually use much memory for itself). If you're using Vista or Windows 7, extra memory might help in some circumstances.

I"ve realised the problems only occur when I leave off for a while without closing the programme so maybe the remedy is in my own hands.

In Windows 'Start | Settings | Control panel' make sure that 'high performance' is selected as the option (so that the computer doesn't try to go to sleep when left idle). Also make sure that you keep the laptop connected to the mains power when using Hauptwerk and try disabling the screen-saver.

If that doesn't solve it, on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced preferences' screen tab in Hauptwerk try ticking the 'Keep sample memory active' option.
Best regards, Martin.

rainworthgord

PostSat Jun 25, 2011 2:04 pm

All advice taken on board thank you. Martin. I can't help thinking you're not very good at not supporting 'free' users, but your readiness to help is wonderful.
By the way my laptop runs Vista.

NickNelson

PostSun Jun 26, 2011 12:42 pm

rainworthgord wrote: I can't help thinking you're not very good at not supporting 'free' users

To be fair, this part of the forum explicitly permits the support of unregistered users by other users only. Martin isn't really supposed to help free users at all, but I don't think it's in his nature to adhere to this too strictly.

Nick

rainworthgord

PostSun Jun 26, 2011 3:35 pm

That's what I meant, Nick. I'm still a comparative newcomer and while everyone who has answered any of my problems has been great Martin has been particularly so and I just wanted him to know in my slightly quirky way how much it is appreciated.

NickNelson

PostSun Jun 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Fair enough, I thought it came across as a bit critical but I'm glad it wasn't meant that way.

Nick

marcus.reeves

PostMon Jun 27, 2011 6:20 am

NickNelson wrote:Fair enough, I thought it came across as a bit critical but I'm glad it wasn't meant that way.

I think you have to read what he said carefully; I had to read it a couple of times. He wrote that Martin is 'not very good at NOT supporting free users.' That second not is easy to miss - in other words, Martin is good at supporting free users even when the forum states that there is no support. :lol:
Best wishes,
Marcus

rainworthgord

PostMon Jun 27, 2011 11:42 am

Ah, my apologies for any misunderstanding - maybe I could have worded it better and I was trying to be a bit too clever with the double negative. I hope Martin read it the way it was meant, which was as a massive compliment and certainly not critical.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 27, 2011 12:23 pm

I hope Martin read it the way it was meant,

Yes - I did. Thanks!
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)