It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

Complete guide to create organs/harpsichords

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

geppo71

Complete guide to create organs/harpsichords

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Hello!
Is there a complete guide about how to create Hauptwerk instruments from existing sample sets?
I have an extensive set of royalty free, high quality, multi release, harpsichord samples and would like to create Hauptwerk instruments for my personal use. Searching the net, I found a guide mentioned in multiple sites, but apparently it is not available publicly.
I have Hauptwerk V 4.2.

Thanks!

Giampaolo

mdyde

Re: Complete guide to create organs/harpsichords

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 12:36 pm

Hello Giampaolo,

Documentation is made available privately upon request to support[at]hauptwerk.com to users on a supported Hauptwerk version, but documentation is only available for the current version (v6) and you'd need to have a licence for the that version. (v4 and v5 are no longer officially supported.) If you do upgrade to v6 and you'd like a copy then please email Francois at that email address, indicating your iLok ID in the email. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Could the CODM facility be used for this? Doc at https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

You still would need to upgrade to HW 6.

mdyde

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 12:57 pm

Hello Mark/Giampaolo,

Yes -- you could potentially use the CODM for creating an organ definition for it, and that wouldn't in itself necessarily require upgrading to v6, since the CODM user guide is on the Help menu in Hauptwerk v4. The full sample set documentation would still usually be needed in order to know how to prepare the sample files, though (which would require v6).
Best regards, Martin.

mnailor

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 1:04 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Mark/Giampaolo,

Yes -- you could potentially use the CODM for creating an organ definition for it, and that wouldn't in itself necessarily require upgrading to v6, since the CODM user guide is on the Help menu in Hauptwerk v4. The full sample set documentation would still usually be needed in order to know how to prepare the sample files, though (which would require v6).

Thank you.

larason2

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 7:42 pm

I've prepared a guide. The link is on the following forum page:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20191

geppo71

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 2:14 pm

larason2 wrote:I've prepared a guide. The link is on the following forum page:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20191

Thanks for the guide! I indeed was able to use it and create a viable CODM for my harpsichord sounds.
The only problem I'm stuck with is that the "organ" doesn't seem to react to Note Off events (i.e. the harpsichord samples don't stop if I depress the key). Could it be because I specified "IsPercussive" as Y (which is suggested for harpsichord sounds)?

Thanks again!

Giampaolo

mdyde

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 3:20 pm

Hello Giampaolo,

- If IsPercussive=Y then the samples will play from start to finish, irrespective of when you release the key.

- If IsPercussive=N then the samples must have a loop and release marker (WAV cue point) in them and will play until the key is released (looping if needed, using the loop) and then cross-fade to the release marker. E.g. for harpsichord/piano samples you could 'cheat it' by putting a short silent loop at the end of the sample, with the cue point after it, and a a short piece of silence after that, so that Hauptwerk would cross-fade to the silent portion at the end of the sample when the key is released.
Best regards, Martin.

larason2

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 3:40 pm

Ah, yes. That’s true. I’ll have to edit that in version 1.1! Most harpsichords have dampers that stop the string when a key is released. For the harpsichord I have, that muting action is recorded and used as the release. Thanks!

geppo71

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 3:53 pm

Thanks so much! Indeed the trick of the loop and cue worked.
But now there is no way to make HW play the key noises…
Really weird, since I went back and replicated exactly the same settings that are in the custom version of St Anne (i.e. having a separate rank for the noises and specifying the rank in the division table).
I can’t understand what I’m missing…

larason2

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 4:23 pm

Try adjusting the volume of the key noises rank upward. Also make sure the wind model is set at either 25 or 100%. Sometimes that messes with the volume.

mdyde

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 4:37 am

Hello Giampaolo,

To add to larason2's reply, potentially you could even temporarily disable the wind supply model completely for the sample set (on the Organ Preferences screen), so as to avoid any possibility of any misconfigured wind settings in your CODM ODF making any 'pipes' sound incorrectly.

One other (perhaps obvious) point: don't forgot that you would also need StopRank objects for your noise ranks. If basing the noise on the CODM example St. Anne's ones, also make sure you use the same values for their:

StopRank.ActionTypeCode
StopRank.ActionEffectCode
StopRank.MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank
StopRank.MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey
Best regards, Martin.

geppo71

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 1:53 pm

Back at it again! I finally found out that the key release/damper noise is played at the same time of the note, i.e. at the beginning, when the key is pressed, even if it is explicitly marked as a key release noise.
Any clue on why it is happening?

Thanks!

mdyde

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:12 pm

Hello geppo71,

Briefly (since we no longer officially support Hauptwerk v4), if you're trying to trigger a percussive (one-shot) sample as the MIDI note is released then see the documentation for StopRank.ActionEffectCode (e.g. value 3 means "Trigger percussively on backbeat").
Best regards, Martin.

geppo71

PostTue Dec 20, 2022 2:11 pm

Very quickly, just to let everybody know that I was finally able to complete this project.
Now I can play this 1579 Italian harpsichord, with short octave, and with the key release noises.
I was also able to select the the original pitch/temperament (meantone 1/6c).
I had to manually modify the ODF to do that.
I will work now on two other Italian harpsichords and hopefully the journey will be way easier than the first one!

Thanks everybody for your help!
Next

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs