It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

Various design issues

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

JonathanL64

Various design issues

PostTue Apr 26, 2022 7:04 am

I have found the forum very helpful in solving many issues in working on the design of an new organ installation. However, I have some issues which remain.
1. The need to provide combination couplers and how to go about this:
a. Great & Pedal Combinations Coupled
b. General to Swell Toe Pistons
2. The provision of duplicate pistons, i.e. the same set of Swell pistons provided as toe pistons, particularly in relation to 1b above.
3. The provision of duplicate reversible pistons, as in many English organs it is common to duplicate some thumb pistons as toe pistons. i.e.:
a. Great to Pedal
b. Swell to Great
4. Stepper pistons (+ & -) for a separate sequencer to the main piston memory system.
As I said, I have managed a significant amount of modification so far, including the means of transferring Great reeds to the Choir, thanks to some wonderful discussions on here. I have as yet not found a solution to these, and perhaps I have missed a thread by not putting in the right search text.
If anyone can point me to a thread I’ve missed or can explain a process to achieve these I’d be hugely grateful.
It is a pleasure learning about Hauptwerk.

Jonathan

IainStinson

Re: Various design issues

PostTue Apr 26, 2022 7:52 am

Hello.
2 and 3 (duplicate pistons). These can be provided using the second midi inputs for the pistons. Select “adjust manually” when you right click on the piston to see the midi input settings for the piston.

I think 1a (Grt & Pedal combinations coupled) is only possible if provided in the sample set. The master piston system does not include this functionality. I seem to remember these were enhancement requests made a long time ago.

1b (General on Swell toe pistons) can be provided in sample sets but not using the master piston system

The combination sequencer in HW does not go through the generals but has separate storage for the combinations steps.I have some notes on using this if that would help.
https://iainstinson.com/hauptwerk/combination-stepper-system-notes.pdf
I autodetect pistons to use for the + and - functions. There are multiple instances of the + and - functions to enable you to have “enough” pistons. Make sure you are aware of the “cued” concept for setting and using the stop sequencer.

It is possible to set up the combination system to work as if it were going through the generals - I think think this is hinted at in the HW 7 release notes.

Hope this helps.

Iain

mdyde

PostTue Apr 26, 2022 8:14 am

Hello Jonathan,

I assume you're using the Custom Organ Design Module to create an organ definition (CODM ODF) of your own for use in your organ installation:

JonathanL64 wrote:2. The provision of duplicate pistons, i.e. the same set of Swell pistons provided as toe pistons, particularly in relation to 1b above.

- In Hauptwerk generally (for any sample set), you can auto-detect up to two MIDI pistons/switches to any given virtual piston/stop/switch by right-clicking, selecting "Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ..." and using the auto-detection buttons on the 'Input 1' and 'Input 2' screen tabs.

- Also, within the CODM you can make any given virtual control be displayed in up to two places [actually three, including the default generated display page], using the "CustomDisplay1/2_..." attributes for the relevant object in the CODM ODF. However, even if you display the control in several places in that way, you can still only auto-detect MIDI to it independently at most twice.

JonathanL64 wrote:3. The provision of duplicate reversible pistons, as in many English organs it is common to duplicate some thumb pistons as toe pistons. i.e.:
a. Great to Pedal
b. Swell to Great

- You can use CODM-ODF.ShortcutPiston objects to create reversibles as desired.

- Alternatively, you could configure Hauptwerk's Master Reversibles (e.g. via the Registration large control panel -- "View | Large floating control panels ...") as reversibles which toggle any desired virtual stops/couplers. MIDI can be auto-detected to Master Reversibles by right-clicking on them as normal for control panel pistons.

JonathanL64 wrote:4. Stepper pistons (+ & -) for a separate sequencer to the main piston memory system.

- There's no means to embed stepper +/- pistons natively within a CODM ODF's virtual console display.

- However, you can instead auto-detect MIDI pistons to the relevant buttons on control panels (e.g. the "Combination stepper (all)" large control panel) in the normal way.

- Hauptwerk's stepper doesn't step through Master Generals or any general/divisional combinations that may be included within a sample set, although it you do want to step through a set of up to 100 general pistons, then see the "Registration menu: combination stepper ... | Instead using the stepper as a basic ‘simple stepper’ which steps sequentially through a set of general pistons" subsection in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 113-114 in the current v7.0 version).

JonathanL64 wrote:1. The need to provide combination couplers and how to go about this:
a. Great & Pedal Combinations Coupled
b. General to Swell Toe Pistons

- It isn't possible to implement combination couplers within a CODM ODF, and Hauptwerk doesn't currently have 'master' functions on control panels to provide that functionality generically, I'm afraid (although it is logged as an enhancement request).

(It's possible to implement any desired logic at all within 'full' ODF format, as opposed to the CODM ODF format [the CODM compiles CODM ODFs to 'full-format' ODFs], but the full ODF format is complex and we only officially provide support for it to major sample set producers. However, if you want to experiment with it yourself you could request a copy of its documentation by contacting Support.)

[Edit: P.S. Iain and I replied at the same time.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JonathanL64

PostTue Apr 26, 2022 8:52 am

Thank you both Iain and Martin, there is a lot for me to explore here! I will research what you say and hopefully progress further. It is all very interesting.

Jonathan

mdyde

PostTue Apr 26, 2022 9:08 am

Thanks, Jonathan. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs