It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 am

Creating Impulse Reverbs from theatre/cinema spaces

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

Jcvtpo

Creating Impulse Reverbs from theatre/cinema spaces

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 11:44 am

A discussion come up elsewhere in the forum that commented on the lack of available Impulse Reverbs for Hauptwerk that would allow Theatre sample sets to utilize a reverb sampled from a 1920s-era movie palace.

In doing some research, it seems that Apple's Logic Pro has a utility that makes it rather straightforward to create impulse reverbs from multiple perspectives. One would need a Mac with Logic Pro, a decent microphone, and a suitable speaker to play back the required sine sweep.

As I use Hauptwerk for Theatre sample sets, I would love the ability to place my sample set in the Seattle Paramount, Detroit Fox, Joliet Rialto, the Mundelein Seminary Auditorium, etc. (As an aside, the Seattle Paramount would be quite versatile as the theater can convert all of the main floor seating to a flat floor which dramatically changes the acoustic).

If anyone has experience with creating IRs, I would very much appreciate your input.

- What software have you used?
- How time consuming is it to sample a space from multiple perspectives?
- How much time is spent in post-processing?
- What file format is required in order to import the IR into Hauptwerk?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Theorbe

Re: Creating Impulse Reverbs from theatre/cinema spaces

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 8:01 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: Creating Impulse Reverbs from theatre/cinema spaces

PostThu Feb 23, 2023 4:39 am

Hello Jcvtpo,

Jcvtpo wrote:- What software have you used?

I believe that there are various convolver plug-ins/applications (on Windows too) that have deconvolution capability (for creating impulse response files). I don't have experience with using them myself, but I think Sound Forge's Pristine Space had/has one for example, and if I recall correctly Steinberg have one too.

Jcvtpo wrote:- What file format is required in order to import the IR into Hauptwerk?

That's documented in the "Section 5: Impulse response reverb definition file tables" subsection of the document that opens via "Design tools | View Custom Organ Design Module , ... reverb format documentation" menu item in Hauptwerk.

[I'll move this topic to the 'Creating sample sets / recording organs' section of the forum once you've had a chance to read this reply.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs