It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

Manual wind modulation

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

ldeutsch

Manual wind modulation

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 4:46 pm

I am not sure where to post this question - so I picked "General Discussion."

I just returned from a week in Cologne, Germany, where I ad the opportunity to play several of the area's important organs (but not the cathedral...) One of these is the organ in St. Peter's Church. The organ there, by local builder Willi Peter, was specifically designed to play avante-garde music, so it is loaded with percussions and special effects in addition to its core 50 or so "normal" ranks. One of these effects is a large knob on the console that controls the speed of the blower.

Turning the blower knob counterclockwise reduces the effective pressure in the organ, causing the pitch to drop in a controlled (mostly) way. Dominik Susteck, the organist at the church, demonstrated the effect for me in an improvisation and it made a lot of sense in the context of this instrument.

I was wondering if the Hauptwerk wind model could be used to get the same effect. Among other things, is it possible to "wire" a physical console control to change Hauptwerk's winding in real time?

Les

mdyde

Re: Manual wind modulation

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 4:06 am

Hello Les,

(I've put the topic here, being the best place I could think of for it!)

Yes -- it would be possible to do something similar within a 'full format' organ definition file (but not within the Custom Organ Design Module directly, although you could tweak its compiled output). In essence you could probably either:

- Send the wind from the blower through a WindCompartmentLinkage object with WindCompartmentLinkage .ValveControlTypeCode and WindCompartmentLinkage .ValveControllingContinuousControlID set to be an appropriate continuous control. That would allow you to 'throttle' the flow, but (unless throttled extremely) it wouldn't significantly affect the static wind pressure if there are down-stream regulators, since they should normally regulate the pressure from it (if so plumbed). (However, the same would probably be true for a real blower with speed control.) Or:

- Use a similar WindCompartmentLinkage to bleed off output from a regulator or wind-chest, or:

- You might be able to come up with some sort of special arrangement of modified/connected regulator(s) using WindCompartment.PressureOutputContinuousControlID and/or WindCompartment.Bellows_ExtensionSettingContinuousControlID and/or WindCompartment.Bellows_ExtensionOutputContinuousControlID, possibly linked together via ContinuousControlLinkages and/or WindCompartmentLinkages.

The sample set creator's guide covers the wind model objects and attributes in depth.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

Re: Manual wind modulation

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 9:48 am

Martin,

Thanks. I was assuming I would have to dig into the ODF directly to do this. If I have some free time and feel bold, I'll write something to add a WindCompartment with a continuous controller to an organ as you suggest. Then I can link that controller to something physical on the console.

I'll leave this as a low priority and see if someone else wants to do it first!

Les

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs