It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

Looping/cue points

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

abean

Looping/cue points

PostSun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 pm

Can someone explain what Hauptwerk is looking for with .wav loops? The CODM user guide says that Hauptwerk needs cue points in the .wav file to indicate the loop range and the start of the release. I used GoldWave to add cue points to the .wav files, but Hauptwerk still says that there is no indicated loop range. Do the cue points need to labeled as something in particular for the program to be able to read them?

On a related note, the CODM user guide references a "creating sample sets for Hauptwerk" guide, but I can't find this anywhere. Where can I get a copy of this?

Many thanks.

GrahamH

Re: Looping/cue points

PostSun Jan 31, 2016 2:48 pm

You need to use a program like Loop Auditioneer to create suitable loops.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/loopauditioneer/

The cue points inserted by Goldwave are not recognised by Hauptwerk.
Furthermore, any loops that you have created will be lost if you subsequently edit the file using Goldwave - so do any processing with Goldwave before creating the loops!

Graham

timhowarduk

PostMon Feb 01, 2016 4:23 pm

+ for Loop Auditioner - it's about as easy as it gets.

Something I have long been wondering - is there anything out there that can 'backup' the loop settings and later add them back in?
The reason I ask is that quite often I want to do further processing on samples having done the first assembly of the organ and got the ranks appropriately balanced.
At the moment I resign myself to adding the loops again. Which is ok, but mildly annoying!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:09 pm

abean wrote:On a related note, the CODM user guide references a "creating sample sets for Hauptwerk" guide, but I can't find this anywhere. Where can I get a copy of this?

Many thanks.

Please contact us privately and we can send details about obtaining the sample creation guide.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

tf11972

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 6:29 am

I have looped the WAV-files of a rank with LoopAuditioneer and several questions about this:

1. LoopAuditioneer has found 6 loops in every WAV-file. Are these enough?
2. I have placed a cue point manually as a release marker. Do I need a further cue point in the file?
3. LoopAuditioneer suggests to cancel the sound between the last loop and the release marker. Is this necessary?

Thanks in advance and a happy sunday :D
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

mdyde

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 4:08 am

Hello Thomas,

The 'Sample files and their format' section in the sample set creator's guide covers these things in general.

tf11972 wrote:1. LoopAuditioneer has found 6 loops in every WAV-file. Are these enough?

Yes -- I would say that six is sufficient to impart a good amount of movement to the sound. As discussed in the guide, note that each loop needs to overlap at least one other in order for them to be effective for that purpose, otherwise Hauptwerk would eventually get 'stuck' in the last loop (which wouldn't cause a stuck note or anything else catastrophic, but the benefit of a complex loop sequence would then be lost).

tf11972 wrote:2. I have placed a cue point manually as a release marker. Do I need a further cue point in the file?

One is sufficient, but you can optionally also add second (typically very slightly later) to use for release sample truncation. (See also the 'Additional markers for reverb tail truncation' sub-section.) However, most sample sets just use one.

tf11972 wrote:3. LoopAuditioneer suggests to cancel the sound between the last loop and the release marker. Is this necessary?

It isn't necessary, but it's safe to delete the section between the end of the last loop and the release marker (because it would never be played) and deleting it reduces eventual file sizes (making for faster downlands, etc.).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

tf11972

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Thanks a lot, Martin, for your quick answer :D
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

mdyde

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 4:44 am

Thanks, Thomas.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs