It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 am

Crashing down when loading release samples

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

tf11972

Crashing down when loading release samples

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 6:36 am

Christoph Schmitz and I are developing a new sampleset, I record the stops, make the audio postprocessing and he generates the ODF and the graphical interface.

Based on a CODM, a few stops are already playable, but we have one problem: When we want to load release samples from a rank, either Hauptwerk completely crashes down (Mac) or the organ cache is not generated (Windows). Otherwise, one stop is playable under Windows, but is not loadable (crash) in a Mac environment.

I have compared our release samples with others, but cannot find an error in them.

What could be the cause for this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

mdyde

Re: Crashing down when loading release samples

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 6:56 am

Hello Thomas,

When loading your ODF (either via 'Design tools | Load custom organ' or 'Design tools | Load organ (with design options)') you'll be shown the design options screen. Can you just confirm that you still get the crash with the 'Skip all organ definition validation for speed [caution]' option *not* ticked? (Organ definition validation is important to catch any ODF bugs that might exist during ODF development, otherwise an ODF bug could easily crash Hauptwerk.)

If that doesn't pinpoint the problem:

What audio editor (or other application) did you use last to save your release sample WAV files?

Are the release samples in separate WAV files from the attack/sustain samples?

If you temporarily substitute a release sample WAV file from another sample set that's know to work properly, does the crash still occur? (That might help to determine whether the problem is due to something in the relevant WAV files themselves, or something in the ODF.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 am

Hello Martin,

thanks for the speedy answer!

I want to confirm, that 'Skip all organ definition validation for speed [caution]' option is not ticked.

Yes, the the realase samples reside in separate folders.

And yes, it works, if I copy relaease samples from another working sample set (this is a smart idea).

When switching back the the "original" samples the HW program did not crash any more (I have no idea, why HW behaved differently and crashed on my Mac without any error message before.).

Now I see the following error message: Could not load sample ID xxxxxx (/Hauptwerk/...../036-C.wav) into pipe ID xxxxxx - the specified range marker does not exist in the file. Message code (for diagnostic purpose): 4662.

Thomas has to comment on the audio editor he uses. But as far as I remember, he used one of your recommended software tools.

Best,
Christoph

tf11972

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Hello Martin,
I use Acoustica Premium to save the release samples. The marker is a good tip, I imagine, I have cancelled markers via LoopAuditioneer in the release samples, because I didn't have found them in release samples from other manufacturers (maybe LoopAuditioneer could not recognize them). When I set new markers, must they have a certain position or it is enough to set them at the beginning of the release sample?

Thanks again for your quick help :D
Best regards
Thomas

mdyde

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 3:23 pm

Hello Christoph/Thomas,

Thanks for the update.

chr.schmitz wrote:Now I see the following error message: Could not load sample ID xxxxxx (/Hauptwerk/...../036-C.wav) into pipe ID xxxxxx - the specified range marker does not exist in the file. Message code (for diagnostic purpose): 4662.

That error message means that the ODF is telling Hauptwerk to load a section of the sample file that starts from a particular WAV marker number (cue point), but the specified sample file doesn't have that many cue points saved within it.

As well as CODM Rank.Samples_... attributes, when compiling a CODM ODF, Hauptwerk looks in the WAV files for the rank to see whether they contain release markers, to determine whether the compiled ODF should specify that the sample range should load from the first marker, or from the start of the sample file.

Hence if you change the WAV files (e.g. adding or removing markers, or re-saving them with an application that might strip out the markers), then it's important that you re-compile the CODM ODF using the updated samples (rather than just re-loading the previously-compiled full-format ODF).

Does that solve it?

tf11972 wrote:I use Acoustica Premium to save the release samples.

That isn't an audio editor that I have experience with myself. I don't know off-hand whether it does anything unusual to makers, loops, or pitch information.

It's no problem having no markers in release samples as long as the release samples are separate WAV files from the attack/sustain samples, and that the CODM ODF is (re-)compiled using the resulting sample files.
Best regards, Martin.

tf11972

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Hello Martin,
thank you for your new information.

Now I have examined the release sample files and they all had two markers, but all at the zero point. Hence I moved the second marker to the end of the files and resaved them. After that I started HW again with the CODM. When I wanted to load the organ with the release samples, HW stuck with the message: "The specific range of the file is zero or has a negative value". I resaved the specific files and started the CODM again, but after three repairs HW broke up the load without an error message.

Edit: Martin's tip to remove the markers in the separately stored release samples was the essential one. After that I started the CODM again and - voila - Hauptwerk loads all of the samples.

Thanks a lot again, Martin, and a happy sunday :D
Best regards
Thomas

mdyde

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 5:05 am

Thanks, Thomas.

Glad to hear it's working now.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs