It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:53 am

Continuous Control Image Linkages

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

VulcanStarlight

Continuous Control Image Linkages

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 2:07 am

Hey team,
As I’ve been tinkering around with a very neat project I’ve been creating for Hauptwerk, I came across a fairly esoteric concept: As I’ve used other means of pre-building the set in its most basic form, when I imported it into the new 75 table format for the newest release, I wondered something:

Are the images connected to a continuous control always wired in I/O pairs? For instance: division expression pedals have two ID numbers of two identical images sets; one instance ID number for in, and another ID for out. In regards to this, is there a way to best-route these sliders and draggables to just a single image instance? Another reason is I also plan to attach a text instance to label these multi-staged GUI elements. I can imagine Hauptwerk generates these for the potential use for example if you want a swell shoe to be to accommodated by little green display indicator bars. In my case, I only need one universal control for each given function. What can I unroute/remove safely from my table to achieve this more basic goal? (Would love to hold onto inertia and the realism attributes)

Thank you all and absolutely loving release seven!

mdyde

Re: Continuous Control Image Linkages

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 4:59 am

Thanks, VulcanStarlight.

Glad you're enjoying v7.

I think you must be looking at a 'full-format' ODF that's been compiled from a CODM ODF. Briefly (since we don't officially provide support for editing 'full-format' ODFs, except to major sample set producers):

If you have a look at the standard (non-CODM) St. Anne's ODF you'll find only one ImageSetInstance per expression pedal, which is the conventional practice.

However, within the CODM, since any given expression pedal may feature on more than one console display page simultaneously, for each such console display page the CODM generates a pair of CCs (one for 'input' and one for 'output'), with an associated pair of overlapped ImageSetInstances, which are linked unidirectionally to/from the expression pedal's single primary CC. That's just done as a work-around to avoid any potential for an infinite loop (which could occur if two CCs were linked bidirectionally), and since any given ImageSetInstance can currently be displayed on at most one display page (hence the potential need for additional CCs for the additional pages).

[A neater longer-term solution would be for Hauptwerk natively to allow any given ImageSetInstance to be displayed simultaneously on more one display plage, which is logged as an enhancement request.]

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

VulcanStarlight

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 6:24 am

Ah! Hello Martin, you are correct. I am indeed speaking of the full ODF format. I have been working on the full voicing and fine details in spare moments pretty much before the turn of the year. But yes, I just want to zap away one of the image duplicates from these pairs. In my instance, I won’t be needing any sophisticated multi-page configurations, rather just as simple as possible: a single location the control will be. I just wonder which one to remove. I wasn’t sure if I’d break something because of the routings of the ContinuousControlLinkage page with the Ins and Outs. But for instance, say

Swell III. ID = 662 (midi access)
SwellShutterPos = 663 (inertia and enclosure ref)
Expr03Input=664 (clickable and image ref)
Expr03Output=665 (image ref)

And the other table, linkages are something like: sourceID-> destID.
662 —> 663
664 —> 662
662 —> 665

I’d be in no danger if I re-did some things as:

Swell III. ID = 662 (midi access + clickability + image ref)
664 deleted
665 deleted

Then the other table, I’ll Link:
662 —> 663
(Removal of unneeded)

One last question: can this ‘main’ control can have midi, image, and clickability all together without internal issues? That’s essentially the last curiosity.

As long as this is possible (looked at relevant column fields and prepared for the future a test script query) I believe your above post has filled me in with information.

Thanks for bearing with me as always, it’s a fortunate thing! :mrgreen:

mdyde

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 6:38 am

Thanks, VulcanStarlight.

You're very welcome.

VulcanStarlight wrote:One last question: can this ‘main’ control can have midi, image, and clickability all together without internal issues? That’s essentially the last curiosity.

In itself there is no problem with a single CC being displayed, clickable, and allowing MIDI (as the Swell pedal is within the main St. Anne's ODF, for example).

VulcanStarlight wrote:But yes, I just want to zap away one of the image duplicates from these pairs. In my instance, I won’t be needing any sophisticated multi-page configurations, rather just as simple as possible: a single location the control will be. I just wonder which one to remove. I wasn’t sure if I’d break something because of the routings of the ContinuousControlLinkage page with the Ins and Outs. But for instance, say

Swell III. ID = 662 (midi access)
Expr03Input=664 (clickable and image ref)
Expr03Output=665 (image ref)

And the other table, linkages are something like: sourceID-> destID.
662 —> 663
664 —> 662
662 —> 665

I’d be in no danger if I re-did some things as:

Swell III. ID = 662 (midi access + clickability + image ref)
664 deleted
665 deleted

Then the other table, I’ll Link:
662 —> 663
(Removal of unneeded)

I'll have to leave that one for you to ponder, I'm afraid. I don't really have time to be involved with it myself -- very sorry.
Best regards, Martin.

VulcanStarlight

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 6:45 am

You are awesome, Martin. I am happy with this knowledge, I’ll go ahead with the changes via my newfound certainty. Many thanks and speak soon!

mdyde

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 6:51 am

Thanks again. Hope you manage to get it configured easily how you'd like it.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs