It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 am

Creating Custom Mixtures using pre-existing Ranks

Sampling pipe organs and turning them into something you can play in Hauptwerk.
  • Author

ggoode_sa

Re: Creating Custom Mixtures using pre-existing Ranks

PostThu Feb 18, 2010 4:31 pm

For those who are intersted in hearing how the organ sounds, here is an improvisation mp3 of my partner playing the English Cathedral Organ accompanied by a virtual Trumpet: http://www.sa-virtualorgans.co.za/downloads/OrganAndTrumpetImprov.mp3. This demonstrates the organ with the custom mixtures of the Great being used - Mixture V [19,22,24,26.29] and the Sharp Mixture III [29, 33, 36] with the Principal and Flute chorus on the Great and the stops that make up a Cornet V on the Choir.
Have fun!
GrahamG

Antoni Scott

Re: Creating Custom Mixtures using pre-existing Ranks

PostMon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 am

When I had my Ensoniq ASR10 sampling keyboard as my main practice instrument, I knew how to create Mixtures. This keyboard had a "layers" capability which meant that each "stop" basically had eight ranks available to it. I took the opportunity to copy Principal, Sting of Flute tones from other stops , transpose them one, two, three or four octaves above the unison and make Quint's, Nazard's, Tierce's, etc. If you understand the "breaks", etc. you can some up with some pretty good stuff.

The ASR 10 had total control and editing capability over each note. I could take one pipe out of a IV Mixture and increase or decrease it's volume, if needed. Compared to Hauptwerk, the ASR was very limited in memory and RAM and the total number of stops I could use was three with a Mixture or four without. I have no interest in creating Mixtures since Hauptwerk has so many organs available, with them.

It would be nice to be able to pick and choose existing Mixtures from all the organs available and create your own specification, but I don't know how to do that.
Previous

Return to Creating sample sets / recording organs