It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am

Adventures in Reverb - Hauptwerk V Mixer

Discuss and share submissions to the Contrebombarde website.
  • Author

jerrymartin

Adventures in Reverb - Hauptwerk V Mixer

PostSat May 09, 2020 10:16 am

Hello everyone - quarantime has given us all some time to delve deeper into our musical world; and I have finally had enough time to begin to understand and come to terms with Hauptwerk V's mixer.

Martin Dyde - you are a genius. Thank you for the years of dedication from HW1 to what we have today. When I stop for a moment to consider what is going on computationally under-the-hood I am speechless.

We all start out on the St. Anne's set - and it is a great set. However, I have just recently begun to play around with the mixer and the possibilities with the inbuilt convolution reverb engine. I think this result is remarkable - consider this is what is possible "out of the box" with Hauptwerk - before you install a single third party sample set. I love how the flutes, diapasons and even the solo clarinet render so well in the virtual reverberant space.

Bravo Martin Dyde, Brett Milan and the team!!

Enjoy: https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/39136

Sampleset: St. Anne's Mosesly, Milan Digital Audio
Reverb: HauptwerkReverb-Church01-Omni-6.7m-LR-3.8s
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

mdyde

Re: Adventures in Reverb - Hauptwerk V Mixer

PostSun May 10, 2020 4:49 am

Thanks very much, Jerry. Very glad you're enjoying it!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jerrymartin

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share progress with the mixer, and see what thoughts/opinions folk have - are there any "killer configurations" that we should all share with the class? :)

First this is a long post - if you want to skip to the results, check out this CB post: https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/41400

I wanted to report back in with my ongoing adventures: slowly but surely I am wrapping my brain around what is possible with the HW mixer. (And it is just incredible how deep the rabbit hole goes).

My speaker setup is "just" dual stereo - I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS6 as my front stereo pair, with a matching Monitor Audio sub. I just upgraded my rear channels to a matching pair of RS6. (These speakers are amazingly capable). https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/index.html

However, given the array of sample sets I have worked to create an "internal routing" in HW that allows flexibility when loading wet/dry organs, and that will also potentially 'future proof' when/if I add additional external speakers.

Here's what I'm doing right now:

1) Primary busses
I have a total of 12 configured
- one each for front Man 1-4, Pedal, Noises (these play over my 'front' speakers)
- one each for rear Man 1-4, Pedal Noises (these play over my 'rear' speakers)

2) Bus groups
I have this as a 1:1 to have the primary busses show up for pipe/rank routing

3) Pipe rank routing
I route Perspective 1 to the front bus groups, on a manual-by-manual basis
I route Perspective 2 to the rear bus groups, on a manual-by-manual basis

I have a few presets with this setup - a default for 'wet' and/or surround organs and a couple for dry.
On the dry organs, I can assign individual IRs which functionally creates wonderful sounding surround from completely dry sets.

I most recently configured all of this for the Scots' organ from Inspired Acoustics which I got earlier this week. (I have a thing for the Rieger sound).

Jiri Zurek / Sonus Paradisi sells Impulse Response Packages and I used the Martinikerk/Groningen set to apply different IRs to my front/rear manuals (after truncating the native samples release to 250ms via the mixer)

The image below shows which IRs I installed on which bus. (Jiri's IRs are as complex as his 8-channel sets :)

Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

jerrymartin

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 11:44 am

James Flores suggested that I should take St. Anne's to Groningen...

Well... here are the results of this "organ transplant" experiment :)

https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/41522
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Return to Contrebombarde Concert Hall