It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Conn 650 Conversion to Hauptwerk

Share photos of your Hauptwerk consoles, installations, audio systems, ...
  • Author

k7kz

Conn 650 Conversion to Hauptwerk

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 12:08 pm

I originally found firmware written by Larason2 on the Arduino site and used that as a starting point since I knew nothing then about MIDI and still know very little about MIDI.

I found an ad in Craigslist for a Conn 650 FREE! How could I turn that down? I had someone move it for me and discovered that it mostly worked. I played with it for about a week and then decided to start gutting it. I sent everything out of it except the keyboards, pedalboard and the expression pedals to recycle.

I wired the keyboards, pedalboard and expression pedals to work with the firmware I had written and away we go.

I recently added some function to use the original rhythm section switches so I can control them from the touchscreen monitor.

It has been a fun experience and I am currently taking lessons. Hopefully, I will be able to make some music with this beauty some day.

I am delighted with how this project has gone. Very few bugs. I feel fortunate for that.

I have the Paramount 341 sample set that I use most of the time.

Here is a link to photos of the project. https://jerry-maxineclark.smugmug.com/C ... erk/Photos

This is a link to the project on Arduino. https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/k7 ... 4&offset=0
Last edited by k7kz on Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

larason2

Re: Conn 650 Conversion to Hauptwerk

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 1:04 pm

Wow, looks great! Not a weekend project, that’s for sure! Well done.

GLMounk

Re: Conn 650 Conversion to Hauptwerk

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Great job!
I use an Alesis SR18 for my rhythm box, the down side is that I can't record it when I record through Hauptwerk. The original organ that I gutted out had its own rhythm section, but there were too many electrical issues. I didn't have the patience to keep the keyboards and bought three Alesis keyboards, but did wire the pedal boards for midi. I also bought four new expression pedals made for theatre organs and wired them up, plus they have the same feel as a pipe organ. What you have done is far nicer than what I did. It is just excellent!
Glen

Return to Post photos of your Hauptwerk systems